[ locale string ]
We are showing you the Taiwanese version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Lehigh Valley Rapha Gentlemen's Race
The third annual Rapha NE Gentlemen's Race took place on the 21st of May in the beautiful Lehigh Valley. Twenty teams approached the rolling hills of Western Pennsylvania knowing that the day would likely be a memorable day of riding.
On paper, the 135-mile Bill Strickland designed course looked challenging, but manageable. Turns out, this part of the country gives a whole other meaning to the phrase 'rolling hills'. The climbing seemed eternal, the descents far too short, the gravel brutal. To top it all off, there is a hill called Bake Oven Road where the "road" betters you coming and going with a unique mix of clay that sticks to your tires on the uphill and potholes larger than a man-hole on the way down.
Perfect ingredients for a successful Gentlemen's Race. Finishing ala Roubaix in the Lehigh Valley Velodrome, smiles prevailed over the hurting legs. Riding an additional 15-miles because of a wrong turn was soon forgotten by cold beer and shared misery in the form of satisfaction.
The winners were the trio of tandems from Boston called the 52 Vincents. Second place was Moots, from Steamboat, CO. The home team from Bicycling Magazine clocked the fastest time with 8 hours and 55 minutes. (Note: yes, that was the fastest time of the day, not a typo.)
A huge congrats and thanks to all who said yes and partook this year as we moved down the east coast to PA. And, a huge thanks to all at Bicycling Magazine and Rodale for helping make this race one to remember.
The full race report, photos and film to come mid-June.
Photos: Chris Milliman
- U23 winner in 2012 what's in store for @RichHandley90 in the @anpostras http://t.co/xyZWX3NbtG
- Sunday morning race day, church car park scene. @anpostras #ras2013 http://t.co/2E1UlfAxhe
- Will all these numbers be able to wear the coveted t-shirt in one weeks time? #menoftheras #ras2013 http://t.co/ai1oqnDIyh
- Team about to start the @anpostras probably the Worlds friendliest race.
- RT @nedboulting: Kristian House's Grandad was a fantastic man. He told me about him once. Then I read this: http://t.co/ZCeYbm4sFU
- @DeanHardman @nedboulting @j_t_locke such a shame...
- @TeamSkyGirl @nedboulting @j_t_locke we've asked JTL to change his name.
- RT @Ed_Clancy: Watch @raphacondor team mate Kristian House take another win (and lap me in the process) around his favourite circuit to…
- RT @TourSeries: Catch-up with all of the #Durham #tourseries action on ITV4 tonight http://t.co/YE9zgNaZem
- Some helpful #womens100 tips from Australian pro @tiffanycromwell that you might find useful over on @gcntweet → http://t.co/ZqgODQ6Tz3