We are showing you the Japanese version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Le Tour 2011: The Old-Style Race
Scan courtesy of Numerius
By Graeme Fife
No Prologue, racing from the first gun…two of the favourites, Contador and Evans scrapping for the win on Stage 4, Contador evidently keen to show he was still in the fight despite losing time from the off…The butcher’s bill was horrible and we lament the exit of them all, Wiggins in the form of his life, but bravo to the matured Sky team for sticking to it and Boasson Hagen’s stage wins. And that other Norwegian rider, curse of the rainbow jersey quashed by a magnificent Hushovd…Cavendish mastering the petulance in his make-up (sharp words from Peiper: Learn the métier, mate), canalising the emotion and giving full vent to the power in his legs for sweet green…Andy Schleck redeeming the failure to take on the Pyrenees with anything like the show of strength they demanded with a wonderful ride to the Tour’s highest ever finish on the Galibier, cheered on by Merckx, standing in the sunroof of Prudhomme’s car…Evans’ gritty chase behind him, taking the responsibility, square on, to close down the time gap…Voeckler, ah, Voeckler, driving himself to the limit and apparently beyond it, until he acceded and told the amazing Rolland 'Go on, take your chance' which he did, victory on l’Alpe d’Huez, over the whole pack of big hitters, Contador, Sanchez et al…Evans’ tenacious self belief driving him steadily to the overall win, limiting the losses and delivering a thumping time trial…but emphatically Voeckler’s Tour, his Europcar team, second division, ten days in yellow, fourth overall, stage win and the white jersey… Chapeau.
- @tribryan Hi Bryan, that’s a discontinued Irish Country Jersey which is no longer in production, sorry to disappoint.
- @vickiewoodsford @richardhier @daithetooth Thanks Vickie, glad we were able to help too.
- @ServiceCourse @richardhier @daithetooth You’re all too kind, thank you.
- @richardhier Thanks Richard, have a good weekend. Will pass on your thanks to Peter.
- Stylish, creative, sharp? We all know a sartorial city rider that can be tricky to buy for. See our guide for hints → http://t.co/dul9phwMoX
- Who's excited for snowy racing #inbend this weekend? We brought tshirts and coffee for the weekend.… http://t.co/aYYPjQEXTG
- @playa_mansa Sorry, somehow missed this. Our backpack is great for general use. Most of us here use it both on and off the bike.
- @TheRaceRadio A man experienced in sheep aerodynamics, perhaps. → http://t.co/4ysrDy5bie
- The most recent Rapha Gentlemen’s Race took place in Adelaide with 18 teams lining up for the rolling 160km route. → http://t.co/ZQ3Dzz0NEX
- @andersmagnus Hi Anders, there’s been a delay unfortunately, but thanks for being patient. It will be out as soon as possible.