We are showing you the Australian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Le Tour 2011: The Old-Style Race
Scan courtesy of Numerius
By Graeme Fife
No Prologue, racing from the first gun…two of the favourites, Contador and Evans scrapping for the win on Stage 4, Contador evidently keen to show he was still in the fight despite losing time from the off…The butcher’s bill was horrible and we lament the exit of them all, Wiggins in the form of his life, but bravo to the matured Sky team for sticking to it and Boasson Hagen’s stage wins. And that other Norwegian rider, curse of the rainbow jersey quashed by a magnificent Hushovd…Cavendish mastering the petulance in his make-up (sharp words from Peiper: Learn the métier, mate), canalising the emotion and giving full vent to the power in his legs for sweet green…Andy Schleck redeeming the failure to take on the Pyrenees with anything like the show of strength they demanded with a wonderful ride to the Tour’s highest ever finish on the Galibier, cheered on by Merckx, standing in the sunroof of Prudhomme’s car…Evans’ gritty chase behind him, taking the responsibility, square on, to close down the time gap…Voeckler, ah, Voeckler, driving himself to the limit and apparently beyond it, until he acceded and told the amazing Rolland 'Go on, take your chance' which he did, victory on l’Alpe d’Huez, over the whole pack of big hitters, Contador, Sanchez et al…Evans’ tenacious self belief driving him steadily to the overall win, limiting the losses and delivering a thumping time trial…but emphatically Voeckler’s Tour, his Europcar team, second division, ten days in yellow, fourth overall, stage win and the white jersey… Chapeau.
- RT @sticky_bottle: Meant to say, to be eligible for the @raphacondor team car compeition you have to be a stickybottle twitter follower!
- RT @sticky_bottle: OK folks; nice morning for it. To win a day in the Rapha Condor JLT team car on the Rás last stage, Sunday, just retweet…
- Third team overall for the Men in Black at Stoke last night in the @TourSeries
- 2 be clear that was @johnherety decision to not let @AaronBuggle start. Tour of Korea and Irish National Champs will be his next rendezvous
- Happy to report @AaronBuggle is as good looking as ever after 13 stitches in his chin. Sorry to report not letting him start tomorrow though
- @flammecast @AaronBuggle His Shrone is fine !!!
- Big thanks to all marshals,coms and medical staff on the @anpostras today. Great work despite the numerous demands on their services today.
- Just to let all his girl fans know @AaronBuggle is ok. He's in hospital and will need some surgery on a cut to his chin. Will update later.
- We've just added 13 new rides since the weekend to our Rapha #womens100 Find a Ride list. → http://t.co/ux8c1JCuQc
- The team also racing the Ras in Ireland this week. Currently Aaron Buggle is the team's top placed rider in 15th overall.