We are showing you the US version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
The fifth Nocturne at Smithfield Market in Central London on Saturday 11 June was, once again, a phenomenal event. Unusually, an accompanying downpour of rain failed to materialise, meaning contests such as the Penny Farthing Race, Longest Skid Competition, and Folding Bike Race, were conducted in the relative safety of a dry tarmac arena.
The Elite Criterium had a great build up from both the Support Race and Women's Criterium preceding it, while darkness, which had been queuing patiently alongside hordes of Londoners waiting to get into the clubs and bars of the capital, got in the door right on time for the main event. Flood lights came on to electrify the atmosphere as the pros stepped up to the start line in superhero fashion. The Rapha Condor Sharp boys all dressed in white skinsuits displaying the words 'Every Day is a New Beginning', designed by Sir Paul Smith in aid of The Japanese Earthquake Appeal.
150 jerseys will be available soon.
And a superhero performance was to be enjoyed by all as 21 year-old Team Sky rider, Alex Dowsett from Essex, pulled off a first for the Nocturne by amazingly lapping the field. Rapha Condor Sharp's James McCallum, winner of the first Smithfield Nocturne, grabbed 2nd place from the charging bunch, but once again the home team were humbled by the calibre of a continental professional. It's all to play for next year!
- @antmccrossan Thanks Anthony.
- @brettrothmeyer nice cap drawing by the way!
- @Jack_Sadler @raphacondor We’re honoured to have you riding for us Jack.
- RT @dean0downing: I had 6 great seasons with the @raphacondor team, thanks to all at @rapharacing for the support through out. http://t.co/…
- @dean0downing @raphacondor Thank you Dean, it’s been an incredible journey.
- Eeny meeny miny moe. Aka Sean, Freddy, Roger and Francesco. If like me you can't decide which one of… http://t.co/o5b8KuTdCX
- Buying for the obsessive cyclist can be an impossible task. The kit has to be right, but what do you choose? → http://t.co/78RaFQ810G
- RT @raphacondor: 2014 will be the last year that Rapha will be part of @raphacondor JLT, concluding 9 fantastic years as co-owners. → http:…
- RT @rapha_australia: It's time for #alpedquiz question two. "WHERE DID RICHIE PORTE FINISH ON STAGE 18 OF THE 2013 TOUR?" Answer at http://…
- The #oneoftheseplease wk 3 includes some outdoor products from the likes of @polerstuff - Kletterwerks - and Filson: http://t.co/SG3aSEcjxN