We are showing you the Global version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Riding at night. The clocks have gone back in the Northern Hemisphere and the evening commute is made in the dark, after-work training rides under twilight.
Lights at night appeal to the senses (emotional and visual). Perhaps a basic human instinct, dating back to the first people to stare up at the stars or gaze into a fire. Whilst the LEDs and illuminations we use keep us visible to motorised predators after dark, it’s exciting riding through the city amongst a reef of neon shapes, a spectrum of luminescence emitting from buildings and the blaze of traffic.
Being a nocturnal cyclist beyond the metropolis is also a thrill, but for different reasons. You ride against the natural realm. It’s pitch dark out in the lanes and trails (unless the moon is shining), so you should really stay indoors where it’s safe and warm. But with a decent spotlight on your bars you can light up the gloom and explore the world without interruption, aside from the odd owl hoot. You flick the switch and, like a remarkable idea that’s been lying dormant all day, a new world opens up. Nightfall is left to you and the bats, foxes and badgers.
Time triallists in the last century would have to test at night to avoid the police (and still do), Paris-Brest-Paris, 24 hour rides and various other voyages take place under darkness. It requires fortitude, and a degree of insanity. Rolling after nightfall in the wintertime is, for some, the only option if you want to clock miles. But for others, it’s where the real fun lies. Just make sure you have lights.
- Last week was a great one for Rapha Condor JLT, all the action and images now up on the team site: http://t.co/ftBejPnnCJ
- RT @alainrumpf: Well done @mike_cuming and @raphacondorjlt winner of #TdK2013 under the scrutiny of latest drone… http://t.co/gv81uP9mHP
- In their attempt to cross the US in 24 days, @michaeltabtabai & Andrew Hudon will ‘Leave It On The Road’. → http://t.co/Per6QsCAtt
- We are delighted to announce the opening of a one-month, pop-up @RaphaCycleClub in Tokyo this summer from 22/6–21/7 → http://t.co/Jrc0EKZ9ky
- Huge congratulations to @raphacondorjlt’s @mike_cuming for winning the @TourdeKorea2013 and to @tomsoutham for best DS. #TdK2013
- @danfromnam in Corsica — outtake from our 2013 Spring/Summer shoot #corsica #beningstagram http://t.co/03A7pT9mtj
- Winner Winner Chicken Dinner ! The most important jersey of #TdK2013 hot off the press. http://t.co/Pflx0eUfdv”
- What a day... The boys keep Mike Cuming in yellow, after having to chase all day. Great performance by all.
- Just rehearsing the whole of Pacino's speech from Any Given Sunday to recite to the boys...
- UK: Thanks to all who came to to tonight’s Rapha Étape Evening in London with @CyclefitUK — one of our biggest turnouts yet.