We are showing you the US version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
If you love cycling, you love Europe
Even if you don't understand it.
It's interesting because I know there's a global audience likely reading this, and for many it might be so obvious that it seems hardly worth writing about. Still, growing up on the west coast of the U.S., the monuments, riders and traditions of this sport that I love seemed as foreign as the languages that are spoken.
Separated by the Atlantic, there are still countless numbers of cyclists who may never make it to Arenberg, Galibier, the Mortirolo, or the infamous Alpe d'Huez, but that doesn't make it any less inspirational. In fact, it seems that the draw is almost more powerful because of the distance. The places and heroes of cycling predominantly still have names that many of us can't completely pronounce properly.
We are proud when "our guys" succeed "over there"—Lance, Andy, George, Greg—but I'd venture to say we might be more enthralled by video like these of Boonen and the Six Day because we can't fully understand it. We just know it's beautiful.
- Team about to start the @anpostras probably the Worlds friendliest race.
- RT @nedboulting: Kristian House's Grandad was a fantastic man. He told me about him once. Then I read this: http://t.co/ZCeYbm4sFU
- @DeanHardman @nedboulting @j_t_locke such a shame...
- @TeamSkyGirl @nedboulting @j_t_locke we've asked JTL to change his name.
- RT @Ed_Clancy: Watch @raphacondor team mate Kristian House take another win (and lap me in the process) around his favourite circuit to…
- RT @TourSeries: Catch-up with all of the #Durham #tourseries action on ITV4 tonight http://t.co/YE9zgNaZem
- Some helpful #womens100 tips from Australian pro @tiffanycromwell that you might find useful over on @gcntweet → http://t.co/ZqgODQ6Tz3
- New Media, New Myths: @TrueBS writes for our blog about the building of legends at the @AmgenTourofCali → http://t.co/SEEBqxorZh #AToC
- Starting this Sunday, the Irish tour @anpostras is being raced by @raphacondor JLT and our very own Ultan Coyle. → http://t.co/gJmiGGr2zy
- Atoc photographers come in all shapes and sizes. Like this one @johnprolly. #atoc http://t.co/yWV0121rRB