Diese Seite wurde noch nicht in die gewünschte Sprache übersetzt.
We are showing you the German version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Sie befinden sich in der deutschen Version unserer Webseite: Möchten Sie eine andere Sprache auswählen?
Ian Stannard and the Tour of Britain
Words: Max Leonard | Photos ©Graham Watson
In the week before the start of the Tour of Britain, Rapha caught up with Ian Stannard, to chat to him about his season and the prospect of his first home Tour with Team Sky.
You've ridden the Tour of Britain before, haven't you?
I've ridden it three times before, but not with Team Sky and I'm definitely looking forward to getting back in to it. After the success of the Olympics and the past two Tours de France it's grown in stature massively and I'm looking forward to getting back there and experiencing it.
What are your memories of riding it the first time?
I rode it with the national team when I was still an amateur. There were teams like QuickStep with Tom Boonen, he was there, Filippo Pozzato was there, quite a few big riders so it was pretty awesome to be there and experience riding with them.
You're a former National Champion, and also winner of the Smithfield Nocturne - you must like racing in Britain.
The last time I raced on British roads was the Olympics. Obviously the Tour of Britain is slightly different, but you still have massive crowds out all over the country, it's becoming quite a thing to watch that race.
Do you really notice the increase in popularity of cycling in the UK when you're competing?
Yeah, even in day-to-day life when you're out in your kit you meet lots more cyclists on the road. Also, the support from people on social media – and it really shows when you see people's faces at the Tour of Britain. I haven't been there for a long time, I'm looking forward to it. It's nice to race on your home roads, to be able to talk to the fans in English, even English in the hotels makes a difference.
What are your highlights of this amazing season?
You'd have to say riding the Tour de France, with Froomey winning it and supporting that jersey for two weeks was pretty amazing and an experience I'll never forget, that's for sure. It was very tough. Every day we were on the front, having to make sure the right breakaway goes, making sure the time gaps are, there's a lot of work behind that to support Froomey. It was nice to get to the Champs-Élysées and experience being at that finish line.
You've had some amazing individual performances this season, notably at Milan-Sanremo and the Eneco Tour, what lessons or goals are you taking forward for next season?
The Classics are always going to be a goal for me, primarily Paris-Roubaix – a flat cobbled race suits me down to the ground. You know, I've got to win it at least once before I retire. Hopefully a few times! The Classics are a big thing, they all suit me. Then there's the Tour de France again, I'd love to be there helping Froomey to another Tour victory. Two straight ones would be pretty amazing for him, I'd love to be a part of that.
- RT @michaeltabtabai: @rapharacing #oneoftheseplease Custom Carter handmade chefs knife made here in Oregon by Mastersmith Murray Carter htt…
- @Johnlovesbikes they are in transit and should be here later this week. Thanks for checking in, sorry for the delay.
- RT @tubbytrotter: Yay! I've just won the stunning @rapharacing Womens softshell in the brilliant #AlpedQuiz bring on the winter weather htt…
- Still stuck for gift ideas for someone? Scan their Twitter/Instagram feeds for #oneoftheseplease. → http://t.co/qVKiV4q8mQ
- @xuano_4 Yes it is open to anyone.
- Make sure you enter Alpe d'Quiz today. One lucky winner will receive a pair of Rapha GT Shoes. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq #oneoftheseplease
- Congratulations to the weekend's Alpe d'Quiz winners Joanne Rushton, @tubbytrotter, @jeanztweet. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- Make sure you enter Alpe d'Quiz today. One lucky winner will receive a pair of the finest Rapha Grand Tour Shoes. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- RT @rapharacing: A Rapha travel set is up for grabs in Alpe D'Quiz today, featuring a luxurious Rapha Skincare bundle and Wash Bag. → http:…
- Somewhat late to the party, but be sure to check out the film to the recent Gentlemen's Race in… http://t.co/RMZUDuxWRc