We are showing you the Global version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
I left my bike in San Francisco.
A bit of an obvious start to a story about the opening of the Rapha Cycle Club in San Francisco, but completely true. My Pereira "Continental" bicycle is tucked away in the basement of the Cycle Club that opened yesterday morning in the Cow Hollow neighborhood. I've looped the handle of my old Soigneur's Bag (packed complete for next week's ride with Jeremy Powers and Chris Jones of the Rapha-Focus Cyclocross Team) around the seat post in an effort to dissuade anyone from riding my little 52cm around the basement like a toy.
With the help of customers, friends, partners and more friends we opened the club for the summer with some festivities, filling the shop and the adjacent patio with a vibrant crowd of cyclists. The famous and beloved Sky Yaeger tended bar, passing a steady stream of Stiegl Lager cans, while Brett "The Viking" was keeping people level with Four Barrel espressos throughout the night. Tell Tale Preserves had a sampling of sweets scattered inside and the award-winning 3Sum food cart was blowing minds and taste buds with 'macaroni & cheese spring rolls' and Cuban sandwiches. Good people, good food, and a great cycling community, made for a wonderful celebration to start our summer in The City.
When the warmer-than-usual morning sun bounced off the windshield of the HVan the next morning, the Cycle Club officially opened for business. As the first cyclists showed up, either on their commute into work or back from an early ride, the Club felt immediately welcoming and familiar to what I had watched in NYC last summer. As a great friend from NYC texted me the other day saying that the San Francisco Club is "no New York". Very true, and believe me when I say we miss NYC this year, but I will say that the seven-minute ride from the SF Club to the Golden Gate Bridge that leads to the roads of Marin is just a tad more lovely and convenient than the 45-minute haul up the WSH to cross the George Washington for the 9W. Come visit Tom, we'll go for a ride. Come out next Thursday at 2pm and you can tuck in behind Jeremy or Chris.
Photos: Nick Allen
- RT @IonaNiDhalaigh: Yahhh mountain jersey in the bag!!! Nice one @mike_cuming!!! @raphacondor http://t.co/GrGqSL0Kgl
- RT @CondorWarehouse: Nice to see the @raphacondor JLT team bike on display @campagnolosrl HQ with so many top pro teams http://t.co/5CgE0tY…
- RT @anpostras: GC after Stage 4: Bialoblocki,, McConvey, Guldhammer, Handley, Pelletier-Roy, Hunal, Simon Yates, Fodor, Roger Aiken, Archbo…
- Spare a thought for @Porterelliott who punctured out of the yellow jersey group, when will he get some luck!
- Took the @anpostras on today. Didn't quite pull it off. @RichHandley90 4th on GC and @mike_cuming in the KoM jersey.
- Tour series update from Stoke up on the site http://t.co/aVdcnGnkOX
- RT @elstopbanana: Here's Kristian House @raphacondor at last night's @TourSeries picture by Sue Howlett Great racing! @SoTCityCouncil http:…
- RT @sticky_bottle: Meant to say, to be eligible for the @raphacondor team car compeition you have to be a stickybottle twitter follower!
- RT @sticky_bottle: OK folks; nice morning for it. To win a day in the Rapha Condor JLT team car on the Rás last stage, Sunday, just retweet…
- Third team overall for the Men in Black at Stoke last night in the @TourSeries