We are showing you the Global version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Hills, Thrills and Spills
Photo © Fotoreporter Sirotti
The performance of Sylvain Chavanel to re-take the yellow jersey on Saturday’s stage to Station des Rousses was quite brilliant. A man who fractured his skull after crashing into a team car during Liege-Bastogne-Liege, the Frenchman is showing that panache is alive and Gallic. The fight between Portugal's Rui Alberto Costa and Spanish racer Carlos Barredo after this stage, which involved a carbon wheel, also showed us that the heat is really getting to some of the riders.
Now that Lance Armstrong is out of the running, perhaps the media can focus on who might actually win the Tour. Will the Texan now become a super domestique for the remainder of the race? It’s hard to imagine. One TV commentator asserted in Sunday’s coverage that Armstrong was a great descender and may be able to claw back time on the way down the Col de la Ramaz. The descent is long, straight and very, very fast. Armstrong was never going to make up ground without corners. If you are ever in the Morzine area tick off the Ramaz as well as its more famous neighbour, the Joux Plane (where Armstrong had another disastrous day in 2000).
Stage 8 belonged to others, particularly Andy Schleck who made his mark with some very cool climbing. With the world champ in yellow and several talented riders breathing down his neck, we are in for another fortnight of drama with the thrills, spills and attacking racing look set to continue. Vive Le Tour!
To enter the Rapha TdF competition to win an Italian Country Jersey or a copy of Great Road Climbs of the Southern Alps, click here »
Brought to you by Rouleur magazine.
- @tribryan Hi Bryan, that’s a discontinued Irish Country Jersey which is no longer in production, sorry to disappoint.
- @vickiewoodsford @richardhier @daithetooth Thanks Vickie, glad we were able to help too.
- @ServiceCourse @richardhier @daithetooth You’re all too kind, thank you.
- @richardhier Thanks Richard, have a good weekend. Will pass on your thanks to Peter.
- Stylish, creative, sharp? We all know a sartorial city rider that can be tricky to buy for. See our guide for hints → http://t.co/dul9phwMoX
- Who's excited for snowy racing #inbend this weekend? We brought tshirts and coffee for the weekend.… http://t.co/aYYPjQEXTG
- @playa_mansa Sorry, somehow missed this. Our backpack is great for general use. Most of us here use it both on and off the bike.
- @TheRaceRadio A man experienced in sheep aerodynamics, perhaps. → http://t.co/4ysrDy5bie
- The most recent Rapha Gentlemen’s Race took place in Adelaide with 18 teams lining up for the rolling 160km route. → http://t.co/ZQ3Dzz0NEX
- @andersmagnus Hi Anders, there’s been a delay unfortunately, but thanks for being patient. It will be out as soon as possible.