We are showing you the Norwegian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Hills, Thrills and Spills
Photo © Fotoreporter Sirotti
The performance of Sylvain Chavanel to re-take the yellow jersey on Saturday’s stage to Station des Rousses was quite brilliant. A man who fractured his skull after crashing into a team car during Liege-Bastogne-Liege, the Frenchman is showing that panache is alive and Gallic. The fight between Portugal's Rui Alberto Costa and Spanish racer Carlos Barredo after this stage, which involved a carbon wheel, also showed us that the heat is really getting to some of the riders.
Now that Lance Armstrong is out of the running, perhaps the media can focus on who might actually win the Tour. Will the Texan now become a super domestique for the remainder of the race? It’s hard to imagine. One TV commentator asserted in Sunday’s coverage that Armstrong was a great descender and may be able to claw back time on the way down the Col de la Ramaz. The descent is long, straight and very, very fast. Armstrong was never going to make up ground without corners. If you are ever in the Morzine area tick off the Ramaz as well as its more famous neighbour, the Joux Plane (where Armstrong had another disastrous day in 2000).
Stage 8 belonged to others, particularly Andy Schleck who made his mark with some very cool climbing. With the world champ in yellow and several talented riders breathing down his neck, we are in for another fortnight of drama with the thrills, spills and attacking racing look set to continue. Vive Le Tour!
To enter the Rapha TdF competition to win an Italian Country Jersey or a copy of Great Road Climbs of the Southern Alps, click here »
Brought to you by Rouleur magazine.
- @playa_mansa Sorry, somehow missed this. Our backpack is great for general use. Most of us here use it both on and off the bike.
- @TheRaceRadio A man experienced in sheep aerodynamics, perhaps. → http://t.co/4ysrDy5bie
- The most recent Rapha Gentlemen’s Race took place in Adelaide with 18 teams lining up for the rolling 160km route. → http://t.co/ZQ3Dzz0NEX
- @andersmagnus Hi Anders, there’s been a delay unfortunately, but thanks for being patient. It will be out as soon as possible.
- We're proud to present one of our favourite films this year, so put some headphones on and enjoy. View the film → http://t.co/B2BXnE3JuY
- Congratulations to yesterday’s Alpe d'Quiz winner Khamarul Rejab who receives a Team Sky bundle. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/h4frOXDYma
- RT @chrishoy: Ok, I'm going to make the call now, and it's a big call, but I reckon @Ed_Clancy will break the World kilo record at the end …
- @Barry8012 @RaphaCycleClub You’re most welcome Simon, thanks for your feedback.
- @antmccrossan Thanks Anthony.
- @brettrothmeyer nice cap drawing by the way!