We are showing you the European version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Hills, Thrills and Spills
Photo © Fotoreporter Sirotti
The performance of Sylvain Chavanel to re-take the yellow jersey on Saturday’s stage to Station des Rousses was quite brilliant. A man who fractured his skull after crashing into a team car during Liege-Bastogne-Liege, the Frenchman is showing that panache is alive and Gallic. The fight between Portugal's Rui Alberto Costa and Spanish racer Carlos Barredo after this stage, which involved a carbon wheel, also showed us that the heat is really getting to some of the riders.
Now that Lance Armstrong is out of the running, perhaps the media can focus on who might actually win the Tour. Will the Texan now become a super domestique for the remainder of the race? It’s hard to imagine. One TV commentator asserted in Sunday’s coverage that Armstrong was a great descender and may be able to claw back time on the way down the Col de la Ramaz. The descent is long, straight and very, very fast. Armstrong was never going to make up ground without corners. If you are ever in the Morzine area tick off the Ramaz as well as its more famous neighbour, the Joux Plane (where Armstrong had another disastrous day in 2000).
Stage 8 belonged to others, particularly Andy Schleck who made his mark with some very cool climbing. With the world champ in yellow and several talented riders breathing down his neck, we are in for another fortnight of drama with the thrills, spills and attacking racing look set to continue. Vive Le Tour!
To enter the Rapha TdF competition to win an Italian Country Jersey or a copy of Great Road Climbs of the Southern Alps, click here »
Brought to you by Rouleur magazine.
- RT @rapharacing: A Rapha travel set is up for grabs in Alpe D'Quiz today, featuring a luxurious Rapha Skincare bundle and Wash Bag. → http:…
- Somewhat late to the party, but be sure to check out the film to the recent Gentlemen's Race in… http://t.co/RMZUDuxWRc
- A Rapha travel set is up for grabs in Alpe D'Quiz today, featuring a luxurious Rapha Skincare bundle and Wash Bag. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- Cool to see our friends @chriskingbuzz representing in the mix of the elite men's race. #mycielo Parbo! http://t.co/L8g8gNofyR
- The masked man on the cyclocross course today was @jeremypowers. It was that cold. http://t.co/KztIjCYu4O
- Calm and confident on the snow - Katerina Nash is off to an early lead. http://t.co/8TynNP7Nho
- Mr. McDonald's tire choice for today's snowy conditions. Can you guess his PSI? http://t.co/2iHgOw6sUw
- They reopened the ice covered fly-over here in Bend. http://t.co/6xOs5BSd0W
- River City Bicycles racer Ryan (Dream) Weaver 2_wicked_awesome powered his way to a chilly 2nd in the… http://t.co/HDDjDnS99w
- Meanwhile over in Bend, Oregon it is a bright, crisp day for cyclocross racing. http://t.co/6lcDQK5UNX