We are showing you the Canadian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Herne Hill Velodrome
Dennis Talbot and Reg Harris circa 1951
Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia
- H.G. Wells
The Herne Hill Velodrome in Dulwich is currently the only working track in London and is the oldest cycling track in the country. Built in 1891, the track hosted events at the 1948 London Olympics and is one of the last active sites from those games. Since 1903 it has held the Good Friday Meet every Easter (weather pending), which sees riders from far and wide competing in early season races. During the 1920s and 1930s the track accommodated attendances of 10,000 plus.
Herne Hill circa 1897
World Champions have ridden here, including Fausto Coppi. Current star of British road racing, Bradley Wiggins, began racing at the velodrome around the age of 12.
“I remember going there as a kid with my mum and admiring the world champions who used to be invited in their rainbow jerseys: the sprinter Michael Huebner, the six-day racer Danny Clark and the pursuiter Tony Doyle. I used to look up to those guys and hope that one day I would be doing what they were doing.”
Il Campionissimo at Berigliano's 1958 Coppi Meet
The Velodrome was founded by George Hillier, a celebrated amateur track and road racer. He was supported by local clubs, including Dulwich Paragon, and won a bid to have his design created in 1891. Herne Hill Velodrome is a distinctive piece of London’s sporting heritage, a piece of history which is vital to South London cycle clubs and youngsters learning to ride.
- RT @CondorWarehouse: @raphacondor JLT 2014 pedals will be @SpeedplayPedals Stainless White :-) http://t.co/S4oOK2gx8t
- RT @CondorWarehouse: A massive shout out to @SpeedplayPedals just received our pedals for @raphacondor JLT 2014 bikes. Thanks guys http://t…
- Congratulations to yesterday’s Alpe d'Quiz winner Darren Edwards who receives a Rapha Backpack. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/h4frOXDYma
- @vickiewoodsford @tobytoof @daithetooth @WhittleFit Thanks Vickie, very kind of you to say.
- @daithetooth Thank you Dai.
- @rich_mitch @RaphaCycleClub You're welcome.
- @rich_mitch Hey Rich, you're probably best to head to our @RaphaCycleClub in London to try them on with advice some our knowledgable staff.
- RT @rapha_australia: The first #alpedquiz question has been asked. "FAUSTO COPPI WAS THE FIRST MAN TO DO WHAT?" Answer at http://t.co/EnOFN…
- RT @rapha_n_america: Up Close: The Rapha x Raeburn Fall-Winter Collection via @selectism :: http://t.co/O27Eo9pQGK
- What do you get the cyclist who has everything? Here's what we recommend for the dandy in your life. → http://t.co/ciPREr3fnP