Questa pagina non è ancora stata tradotta nella lingua che hai scelto.
[ locale string ]
[ locale string ]
Hell Part Three
Returning for its third (and thus far dampest) outing, Rapha’s Hell of the North saw a throng of riders convene at the Highgate village sign-on.
A tribute ride to Paris-Roubaix, the challenging 80km route combines roads, bridleways and farm tracks (oh, and some deep forest and ravine crossing for good measure). Rapha's version was, once again, held on the same day as the pro race, which this year saw Tom Boonen claim his fourth L‘Enfer Du Nord in emphatic style. Cementing his reputation as a genuine ‘légende belge’, Rapha's version of Paris-Roubaix offered a typically British slant on the race that sorts the hardmen from the boys.
No less than twenty sections of what has become affectionately termed “gravè” awaited the hardy riders, rewarded for their commitment to an early start by cruelly grey skies complete with a steady sideways drizzle for the first 60 minutes or so of the ride. Nary a foot was spotted overshoeless, and a healthy coating of mudded road-spray graced most participants backs as the first grave section approached.
I maintained a light grip on the handlebars, eternally thankful of their double wrapping and powering a slightly larger gear than usual. I recalled all the advice extolled by riders about ‘floating’ over the cobbles. Patrick Lefevere famously proclaimed Pozzato to have such finesse on the cobbles one could place a glass of water on the riders back and he would return with the glass completely full. Sadly I probably lacked a modicum of Pippo’s control as I blasted and slipped through the loose shingle, arms aching from controlling and urging the bike upright, my eyes darting around to locate the smoothest line to follow. Bike control became an essential skill, requiring every effort to keep the back wheel skidding out, made harder by the short punchy climbs with the tough stuff underneath.
In the 2010, despite the splendid beating rays of the warming sun promising a glorious day in hell, I had the misfortune to amass an impressive total of four punctures. My tyre choice fell victim to the gravè, forcing an abandon as we limped back to the Black Horse for some big screen race action. Lady luck wasn’t also elected to hurt my companion, his rear derailleur hanger managed to shear off cleanly, deep in the heart of a woodland descent.
With the 2012 version it appeared that truly third time was indeed a charm, with only one small flat between the pair of us for the entirety of the course. We counted our collective blessings, as for the first time in three attempts we rolled into the finish HQ without major incident. Sadly the same could not be said for Sylvain Chavanel over in France, unable to rejoin the select group after suffering a flat in the latter stages of the race over on the continent.
Then the muddied, stomping aspirant rouleurs descended en masse to the Black Horse Pub in Barnet. Traditionally wrapped hot frites and a Belgian beer, along with the accompanying big screen coverage of Paris-Roubaix made for the perfect post-ride tonic. Fatigued hands applauded and spectators cheered in earnest as the tornado sealed a flamboyant win by outgunning every rider in that race. The lycra may have been dampened on Sunday but spirits certainly were not.
- We've just added 13 new rides since the weekend to our Rapha #womens100 Find a Ride list. → http://t.co/ux8c1JCuQc
- The team also racing the Ras in Ireland this week. Currently Aaron Buggle is the team's top placed rider in 15th overall.
- Tour Series resumes tonight in Stoke on Trent. RCJ line up is House, Clancy, McCallum, English and Mellor.
- Arboretum → http://t.co/cJXOyDWnK0 #raphasurvey #sanfrancisco #sf #cycling
- There are still a few of these sweet Rapha + Raeburn jackets at the SF @raphacycleclub. http://t.co/C2d98yCRL0
- The hills above. #raphasurvey http://t.co/jlIkXowxyT
- U23 winner in 2012 what's in store for @RichHandley90 in the @anpostras http://t.co/xyZWX3NbtG
- Sunday morning race day, church car park scene. @anpostras #ras2013 http://t.co/2E1UlfAxhe
- Will all these numbers be able to wear the coveted t-shirt in one weeks time? #menoftheras #ras2013 http://t.co/ai1oqnDIyh
- Team about to start the @anpostras probably the Worlds friendliest race.