We are showing you the European version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Hell of the North no. 2
Photos: Kieran Young
Hell, so to speak, on a bicycle in blissful sunshine is actually a lot of fun. Blazing (or just lollygagging) along terrain consisting of gravel, potholes and hard dirt on tracks more akin to horseshoes than 21mm slicks, a crowd of over 250 riders turned out on Sunday morning to ride the second edition of Rapha's very own Hell of the North.
An homage to the true Hell of the North, Paris-Roubaix, this ride sets off from Highgate and heads up into Hertfordshire to tackle off road sectors amongst farmland, nature reserves and quaint English villages. The ride finishes at the Black Horse pub where all rouleurs convene to watch Paris-Roubaix and sink a beer.
There were bumps, punctures, ex-pros, angry farmers, more punctures, single speeds, beer, rattling carbon, a T. Rex, piratical mountain bikers, lots of bananas and plenty of smiles. Chapeaux to all who rode it.
More photography, words and a short film will follow later this week.
Read a report on the ride at Road.cc
- Who's excited for snowy racing #inbend this weekend? We brought tshirts and coffee for the weekend.… http://t.co/aYYPjQEXTG
- @playa_mansa Sorry, somehow missed this. Our backpack is great for general use. Most of us here use it both on and off the bike.
- @TheRaceRadio A man experienced in sheep aerodynamics, perhaps. → http://t.co/4ysrDy5bie
- The most recent Rapha Gentlemen’s Race took place in Adelaide with 18 teams lining up for the rolling 160km route. → http://t.co/ZQ3Dzz0NEX
- @andersmagnus Hi Anders, there’s been a delay unfortunately, but thanks for being patient. It will be out as soon as possible.
- We're proud to present one of our favourite films this year, so put some headphones on and enjoy. View the film → http://t.co/B2BXnE3JuY
- Congratulations to yesterday’s Alpe d'Quiz winner Khamarul Rejab who receives a Team Sky bundle. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/h4frOXDYma
- RT @chrishoy: Ok, I'm going to make the call now, and it's a big call, but I reckon @Ed_Clancy will break the World kilo record at the end …
- @Barry8012 @RaphaCycleClub You’re most welcome Simon, thanks for your feedback.
- @antmccrossan Thanks Anthony.