We are showing you the US version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Hell of the North no. 2
Photos: Kieran Young
Hell, so to speak, on a bicycle in blissful sunshine is actually a lot of fun. Blazing (or just lollygagging) along terrain consisting of gravel, potholes and hard dirt on tracks more akin to horseshoes than 21mm slicks, a crowd of over 250 riders turned out on Sunday morning to ride the second edition of Rapha's very own Hell of the North.
An homage to the true Hell of the North, Paris-Roubaix, this ride sets off from Highgate and heads up into Hertfordshire to tackle off road sectors amongst farmland, nature reserves and quaint English villages. The ride finishes at the Black Horse pub where all rouleurs convene to watch Paris-Roubaix and sink a beer.
There were bumps, punctures, ex-pros, angry farmers, more punctures, single speeds, beer, rattling carbon, a T. Rex, piratical mountain bikers, lots of bananas and plenty of smiles. Chapeaux to all who rode it.
More photography, words and a short film will follow later this week.
Read a report on the ride at Road.cc
- There are still a few of these sweet Rapha + Raeburn jackets at the SF @raphacycleclub. http://t.co/C2d98yCRL0
- The hills above. #raphasurvey http://t.co/jlIkXowxyT
- U23 winner in 2012 what's in store for @RichHandley90 in the @anpostras http://t.co/xyZWX3NbtG
- Sunday morning race day, church car park scene. @anpostras #ras2013 http://t.co/2E1UlfAxhe
- Will all these numbers be able to wear the coveted t-shirt in one weeks time? #menoftheras #ras2013 http://t.co/ai1oqnDIyh
- Team about to start the @anpostras probably the Worlds friendliest race.
- RT @nedboulting: Kristian House's Grandad was a fantastic man. He told me about him once. Then I read this: http://t.co/ZCeYbm4sFU
- @DeanHardman @nedboulting @j_t_locke such a shame...
- @TeamSkyGirl @nedboulting @j_t_locke we've asked JTL to change his name.
- RT @Ed_Clancy: Watch @raphacondor team mate Kristian House take another win (and lap me in the process) around his favourite circuit to…