Cette page n'a pas encore été traduite en Français.
We are showing you the French version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Vous visitez la version française de notre site internet. Voulez-vous changer de version?
Giro d'up North
Photos by Laura 'Lady' Bower and Jack 'Vino' Saunders
Rapha’s tour of the north began on Friday in the boutique district of Manchester and ended on Sunday beside the crooked spire of Chesterfield Church. And whilst some might suggest Rapha had no business being at that latitude, it certainly wasn’t grim up there.
On Friday and Saturday the first Rapha Sample Sale north of Hampstead took us to the sunny streets of Manchester. We set up amongst various coffee shops and purveyors of adult videos at the Thomas St. Post Office. One lady walking past enquired as to why there were people queuing around the block to post a letter.
It was rather hot inside the ‘Post Office’ due to the glorious weather outside but we managed to get a decent feed of the climactic stage of this year’s Giro d’Italia on the TV. However, the streaming cut out just before Thomas De Gendt attacked on the Mortirolo. Not to worry, plenty of bargains were bagged and everyone managed to cope with the heat, partially thanks to cold beer and ice cream.
Meanwhile, over in Sheffield, a well-affiliated group of riders congregated outside the legendary Nonna’s for a spin in the sunshine. They rode out of the Steel City to meet the Rapha H-Van en route and return to enjoy pasta, wine and that incredible Giro stage. For anyone who doesn’t know Sheffield, it’s the closest you’ll come to an Italian town, with a rich heritage of road cycling, very hospitable people and accents that are hard to understand.
On Sunday there was more riding and more sunshine scheduled. Another Nonna’s affiliated ride set out, this time from their other restaurant in Chesterfield (not Tuscany) although the numbers were depleted somewhat due to the amount of vino consumed the night before. But Rapha Condor Sharp’s Dean Downing still managed to make an appearance alongside another local lad, Malcolm Elliott.
Over in Manchester a simultaneous ride set off towards Chesterfield through the Peak District. Dodging broken glass on the way out, a group of twelve or so led by Jack Briggs of Rapha embarked on a gorgeous 100kms of rolling and sometimes punishing topography into the Peaks. It wasn’t too dissimilar to the voluptuous landscape of central Italy, only less vineyards and a lot more sheep. Again the friendly disposition of all we rode with and nonstop sunshine made it a memorable journey over to the H-Van in the village of Yulegreave. One or two espressi later and we took a couple more climbs and a big descent into ‘C-Town’ for some pasta and a pint of Peroni or two. A great weekend and distinctly Italian themed, even if a Canadian did end up wearing the pink jersey…
Thanks to all who rode and made it a weekend to remember including Gian at Nonna’s, Kati for her coffee skills and Ben for driving the H-Van for 400 plus miles.
You can view the route of the Manchester – Chesterfield ride here »
- RT @IonaNiDhalaigh: Yahhh mountain jersey in the bag!!! Nice one @mike_cuming!!! @raphacondor http://t.co/GrGqSL0Kgl
- RT @CondorWarehouse: Nice to see the @raphacondor JLT team bike on display @campagnolosrl HQ with so many top pro teams http://t.co/5CgE0tY…
- RT @anpostras: GC after Stage 4: Bialoblocki,, McConvey, Guldhammer, Handley, Pelletier-Roy, Hunal, Simon Yates, Fodor, Roger Aiken, Archbo…
- Spare a thought for @Porterelliott who punctured out of the yellow jersey group, when will he get some luck!
- Took the @anpostras on today. Didn't quite pull it off. @RichHandley90 4th on GC and @mike_cuming in the KoM jersey.
- Tour series update from Stoke up on the site http://t.co/aVdcnGnkOX
- RT @elstopbanana: Here's Kristian House @raphacondor at last night's @TourSeries picture by Sue Howlett Great racing! @SoTCityCouncil http:…
- RT @sticky_bottle: Meant to say, to be eligible for the @raphacondor team car compeition you have to be a stickybottle twitter follower!
- RT @sticky_bottle: OK folks; nice morning for it. To win a day in the Rapha Condor JLT team car on the Rás last stage, Sunday, just retweet…
- Third team overall for the Men in Black at Stoke last night in the @TourSeries