We are showing you the UK version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Gentlemen's Hill Climb: 30.03.11
This morning saw the inaugural Gentlemen's Hill Climb here on Mallorca. Five teams gathered at the Rapha Cycle Club for this unsanctioned, no-holds-barred team time trial over a course climbing a little over 350m in 5km.
There were no rollers on which to warm up, no iPods to calm their fears. Even the ex-pros and hardened racers had a slightly apprehensive look on their faces and there was early talk of cutting the climb short, and finishing instead after the first few ramps.
Fortunately bravado overcame nerves and so after a short briefing, the purposely-uneven teams went off at 30 second intervals to push, pull and cheat their way up the climb to the top, with the clock stopping only once the last man crossed the line.
It might have been a time trial, the legs might have been burning, but as with all Gentlemen's riding the onus was very much on camaraderie.
The winning team 'The Caledonian' (Scottish triathletes..!) crossed the line in 19:12, despite an uphill crash and not one single case of hanging onto the race commissaire's car. Their time goes straight to the top of the leader board and we hope will be beaten quickly by teams far more dishonest than themselves.
Notable mentions go to Nadav Kander and Ben Ingham who, despite being photographers, made it all the way to the top unscathed. Alex Ceselli, on the other hand, had to be dragged up by his team-mates Rupert RT and G. Kemp. The shame.
The Rapha Gentlemen's Hill Climb takes place every Wednesday morning at 11am. Meeting point is the Cycle Club Mallorca in Port de Pollensa.
Follow @RaphaCycleClub on Twitter.
- Win today's Alpe D'Quiz prize: a Men's or Women's Classic Softshell. ‘A thing of beauty,’ according to The Times. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- @tribryan Hi Bryan, that’s a discontinued Irish Country Jersey which is no longer in production, sorry to disappoint.
- @vickiewoodsford @richardhier @daithetooth Thanks Vickie, glad we were able to help too.
- @ServiceCourse @richardhier @daithetooth You’re all too kind, thank you.
- @richardhier Thanks Richard, have a good weekend. Will pass on your thanks to Peter.
- Stylish, creative, sharp? We all know a sartorial city rider that can be tricky to buy for. See our guide for hints → http://t.co/dul9phwMoX
- Who's excited for snowy racing #inbend this weekend? We brought tshirts and coffee for the weekend.… http://t.co/aYYPjQEXTG
- @playa_mansa Sorry, somehow missed this. Our backpack is great for general use. Most of us here use it both on and off the bike.
- @TheRaceRadio A man experienced in sheep aerodynamics, perhaps. → http://t.co/4ysrDy5bie
- The most recent Rapha Gentlemen’s Race took place in Adelaide with 18 teams lining up for the rolling 160km route. → http://t.co/ZQ3Dzz0NEX