We are showing you the Norwegian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Gentlemen's Hill Climb: 30.03.11
This morning saw the inaugural Gentlemen's Hill Climb here on Mallorca. Five teams gathered at the Rapha Cycle Club for this unsanctioned, no-holds-barred team time trial over a course climbing a little over 350m in 5km.
There were no rollers on which to warm up, no iPods to calm their fears. Even the ex-pros and hardened racers had a slightly apprehensive look on their faces and there was early talk of cutting the climb short, and finishing instead after the first few ramps.
Fortunately bravado overcame nerves and so after a short briefing, the purposely-uneven teams went off at 30 second intervals to push, pull and cheat their way up the climb to the top, with the clock stopping only once the last man crossed the line.
It might have been a time trial, the legs might have been burning, but as with all Gentlemen's riding the onus was very much on camaraderie.
The winning team 'The Caledonian' (Scottish triathletes..!) crossed the line in 19:12, despite an uphill crash and not one single case of hanging onto the race commissaire's car. Their time goes straight to the top of the leader board and we hope will be beaten quickly by teams far more dishonest than themselves.
Notable mentions go to Nadav Kander and Ben Ingham who, despite being photographers, made it all the way to the top unscathed. Alex Ceselli, on the other hand, had to be dragged up by his team-mates Rupert RT and G. Kemp. The shame.
The Rapha Gentlemen's Hill Climb takes place every Wednesday morning at 11am. Meeting point is the Cycle Club Mallorca in Port de Pollensa.
Follow @RaphaCycleClub on Twitter.
- @brettrothmeyer nice cap drawing by the way!
- @Jack_Sadler @raphacondor We’re honoured to have you riding for us Jack.
- RT @dean0downing: I had 6 great seasons with the @raphacondor team, thanks to all at @rapharacing for the support through out. http://t.co/…
- @dean0downing @raphacondor Thank you Dean, it’s been an incredible journey.
- Eeny meeny miny moe. Aka Sean, Freddy, Roger and Francesco. If like me you can't decide which one of… http://t.co/o5b8KuTdCX
- Buying for the obsessive cyclist can be an impossible task. The kit has to be right, but what do you choose? → http://t.co/78RaFQ810G
- RT @raphacondor: 2014 will be the last year that Rapha will be part of @raphacondor JLT, concluding 9 fantastic years as co-owners. → http:…
- RT @rapha_australia: It's time for #alpedquiz question two. "WHERE DID RICHIE PORTE FINISH ON STAGE 18 OF THE 2013 TOUR?" Answer at http://…
- The #oneoftheseplease wk 3 includes some outdoor products from the likes of @polerstuff - Kletterwerks - and Filson: http://t.co/SG3aSEcjxN
- 2014 will be the last year that Rapha will be part of @raphacondor JLT, concluding 9 fantastic years as co-owners. → http://t.co/11e5ZxOdoC