We are showing you the European version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Fueling The Ride
The climate in Portland at the moment is scorching. In more ways than one. In terms of the weather, the past three days have been the hottest the city has ever experienced. However, the bicycle climate, which has been heating up in the past few years has headed up around the area of amazing. It isn't the only sub-culture that has taken a hold. Foodies everywhere rejoice, as Portland has also started to make a name for itself in that arena.
Therefore, when the two converge, as they often do, take note.
I ducked inside a local coffee shop to read the latest issue of MIX Magazine as an escape from the heat.
MIX Magazine is touted as "Portland's Magazine of Food + Drink," and is chock full of recipes, restaurant reviews, coffee shop suggestions and even a look at what individual Portland neighborhoods have to offer food-wise.
What I was really interested in though was an article titled "Fueling the Ride." The first thing that caught my eye was, truthfully, the coffee cake in the opening photo. And after glancing through I saw a profile photo of a character I recognized instantly. There, in his Acid Green Stowaway Jacket was Tony Periera of Periera Cycles.
The article, written by Matt Card (who just stopped in the office the other day), chronicles the Saturday morning adventures of a group of cyclists as they eat and cycle their way through a good portion of Portland's bakeries, coffee shops and Mexican Restaurants. One in particular, Por Que No, is just down the street from Rapha's US headquarters and is a known hideout for post-ride margaritas.
The photos are equal parts cycling photography, mouth watering food selects, and local bicycle celebrity showdowns. Not to mention the more than one appearance by Rapha.
Not only was Tony featured but a few other luminaries made appearances too. Matt Cardinal, one half of Signal Cyles was there (he and Nate made Carey's Rapha Continental Bike) alongside former Chris King employee, Chris Aguirre, and Scott Ramsey from Vanilla Bicycles.
It doesn't get any more Portland than that.
- @CanyonUK Everyone loves a hug, thanks.
- @CanyonUK Do we win a prize?
- @c4shr Hello Kash, we're very sorry about that. We'll be in touch shortly to sort things out.
- RT @Strava: Are you ready for the @rapharacing #Festive500? we're challenging riders to clock 500 km between Christmas and NYE. http://t.co…
- RT @JeanzTweet: Yay! Won a nice wash bag & skincare kit at the @rapharacing #alpedquiz. First time ever i won a prize. You rock #teamrapha …
- @JeanzTweet You’re welcome Jens.
- Congrats to yesterday’s Alpe d'Quiz winner Ben Wooliscroft who won a pair of Rapha GT Shoes. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/h4frOXDYma
- RT @michaeltabtabai: @rapharacing #oneoftheseplease Custom Carter handmade chefs knife made here in Oregon by Mastersmith Murray Carter htt…
- @Johnlovesbikes they are in transit and should be here later this week. Thanks for checking in, sorry for the delay.
- RT @tubbytrotter: Yay! I've just won the stunning @rapharacing Womens softshell in the brilliant #AlpedQuiz bring on the winter weather htt…