[ locale string ]
Fueling The Ride
The climate in Portland at the moment is scorching. In more ways than one. In terms of the weather, the past three days have been the hottest the city has ever experienced. However, the bicycle climate, which has been heating up in the past few years has headed up around the area of amazing. It isn't the only sub-culture that has taken a hold. Foodies everywhere rejoice, as Portland has also started to make a name for itself in that arena.
Therefore, when the two converge, as they often do, take note.
I ducked inside a local coffee shop to read the latest issue of MIX Magazine as an escape from the heat.
MIX Magazine is touted as "Portland's Magazine of Food + Drink," and is chock full of recipes, restaurant reviews, coffee shop suggestions and even a look at what individual Portland neighborhoods have to offer food-wise.
What I was really interested in though was an article titled "Fueling the Ride." The first thing that caught my eye was, truthfully, the coffee cake in the opening photo. And after glancing through I saw a profile photo of a character I recognized instantly. There, in his Acid Green Stowaway Jacket was Tony Periera of Periera Cycles.
The article, written by Matt Card (who just stopped in the office the other day), chronicles the Saturday morning adventures of a group of cyclists as they eat and cycle their way through a good portion of Portland's bakeries, coffee shops and Mexican Restaurants. One in particular, Por Que No, is just down the street from Rapha's US headquarters and is a known hideout for post-ride margaritas.
The photos are equal parts cycling photography, mouth watering food selects, and local bicycle celebrity showdowns. Not to mention the more than one appearance by Rapha.
Not only was Tony featured but a few other luminaries made appearances too. Matt Cardinal, one half of Signal Cyles was there (he and Nate made Carey's Rapha Continental Bike) alongside former Chris King employee, Chris Aguirre, and Scott Ramsey from Vanilla Bicycles.
It doesn't get any more Portland than that.
- How good is this shot ! “@TourdeKorea2013: @mike_cuming looking good in yellow! #TdK2013 @johnherety @raphacondor http://t.co/CrCV1zkCUB”
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: @mike_cuming looking good in yellow! #TdK2013 @johnherety @raphacondor http://t.co/oCjdyhvSue
- Reality check we also lost teammates @AaronBuggle and @carthy94 today. Going to be tough to defend.
- @mike_cuming in yellow with just over a minutes lead going into the final 2 stages of @TourdeKorea2013 couldn't of happened to a nicer guy
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: 25km to go in Stage 6. @mike_cuming is the virtual leader for @raphacondor. #TdK2013
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: 102 riders will sign on today after eight were dropped by their teams in the TTT and failed to make the time cut. #TdK…
- RT @London_phill: @raphacondor @MiBsponsor @james_fairbank_ Rapha team in Tour De Korea 2013 TTT http://t.co/SW09x70Zs0
- RT @182Jay: @raphacondor please share my @JustGiving page @thomwilson88, @DavidMetherell1 and I are fundraising for @MyelomaUK http://t.co…
- Great ride by the boys in Korea. 3rd by only 3 seconds in the 25km TTT today. Mike Cuming now up to 5th overall.
- Some nice pics of the boys and report on the great Mr Cancy's ride last night: http://t.co/ctoHu37ixb