We are showing you the European version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
From hell with love
Photos and introduction: Joe Hall
Our five riders clipped in early on Sunday 13th March to meet with the parcours of Paris-Roubaix. Somewhere in between St. Quentin and Roubaix a respect for the cobblestones was discovered. These roads have been raced upon since 1896, and explaining the powerful feelings, physical and mental, that they inflict on a rider is not easily explained. There is no doubt this is a special place and the reverence racers and fans of the sport show to Paris-Roubaix is deep. Phil Deeker wrote of the experience, and each day this week, one of the other four riders of our team will describe riding the pavé.
Like running over hot coals. Speed and float. Power, power, power power. Stamp, pull, push, concentrate. If you lose your rhythm you’re sinking or being sucked into hell. The devil swinging off your calves trying to haul you down. Try not be tempted by what looks like a fonder path, the grass is always greener on the other side. Switching your focus only invites unnecessary dangers. Ride like an arrow and you stand a better chance of a cleaner finish. Covered in mud rather than blood. Your first sniff or sight of a cobble, breath in, load your gun with a few clicks, take aim and crank it. Finish the sector, shake your hands out, stop feeling sorry for yourself, get to the front and ready yourself for the next onslaught.
- RT @elstopbanana: Here's Kristian House @raphacondor at last night's @TourSeries picture by Sue Howlett Great racing! @SoTCityCouncil http:…
- RT @sticky_bottle: Meant to say, to be eligible for the @raphacondor team car compeition you have to be a stickybottle twitter follower!
- RT @sticky_bottle: OK folks; nice morning for it. To win a day in the Rapha Condor JLT team car on the Rás last stage, Sunday, just retweet…
- Third team overall for the Men in Black at Stoke last night in the @TourSeries
- 2 be clear that was @johnherety decision to not let @AaronBuggle start. Tour of Korea and Irish National Champs will be his next rendezvous
- Happy to report @AaronBuggle is as good looking as ever after 13 stitches in his chin. Sorry to report not letting him start tomorrow though
- @flammecast @AaronBuggle His Shrone is fine !!!
- Big thanks to all marshals,coms and medical staff on the @anpostras today. Great work despite the numerous demands on their services today.
- Just to let all his girl fans know @AaronBuggle is ok. He's in hospital and will need some surgery on a cut to his chin. Will update later.
- We've just added 13 new rides since the weekend to our Rapha #womens100 Find a Ride list. → http://t.co/ux8c1JCuQc