We are showing you the Canadian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
From hell with love
Photos and introduction: Joe Hall
Our five riders clipped in early on Sunday 13th March to meet with the parcours of Paris-Roubaix. Somewhere in between St. Quentin and Roubaix a respect for the cobblestones was discovered. These roads have been raced upon since 1896, and explaining the powerful feelings, physical and mental, that they inflict on a rider is not easily explained. There is no doubt this is a special place and the reverence racers and fans of the sport show to Paris-Roubaix is deep. Phil Deeker wrote of the experience, and each day this week, one of the other four riders of our team will describe riding the pavé.
Like running over hot coals. Speed and float. Power, power, power power. Stamp, pull, push, concentrate. If you lose your rhythm you’re sinking or being sucked into hell. The devil swinging off your calves trying to haul you down. Try not be tempted by what looks like a fonder path, the grass is always greener on the other side. Switching your focus only invites unnecessary dangers. Ride like an arrow and you stand a better chance of a cleaner finish. Covered in mud rather than blood. Your first sniff or sight of a cobble, breath in, load your gun with a few clicks, take aim and crank it. Finish the sector, shake your hands out, stop feeling sorry for yourself, get to the front and ready yourself for the next onslaught.
- @brettrothmeyer nice cap drawing by the way!
- @Jack_Sadler @raphacondor We’re honoured to have you riding for us Jack.
- RT @dean0downing: I had 6 great seasons with the @raphacondor team, thanks to all at @rapharacing for the support through out. http://t.co/…
- @dean0downing @raphacondor Thank you Dean, it’s been an incredible journey.
- Eeny meeny miny moe. Aka Sean, Freddy, Roger and Francesco. If like me you can't decide which one of… http://t.co/o5b8KuTdCX
- Buying for the obsessive cyclist can be an impossible task. The kit has to be right, but what do you choose? → http://t.co/78RaFQ810G
- RT @raphacondor: 2014 will be the last year that Rapha will be part of @raphacondor JLT, concluding 9 fantastic years as co-owners. → http:…
- RT @rapha_australia: It's time for #alpedquiz question two. "WHERE DID RICHIE PORTE FINISH ON STAGE 18 OF THE 2013 TOUR?" Answer at http://…
- The #oneoftheseplease wk 3 includes some outdoor products from the likes of @polerstuff - Kletterwerks - and Filson: http://t.co/SG3aSEcjxN
- 2014 will be the last year that Rapha will be part of @raphacondor JLT, concluding 9 fantastic years as co-owners. → http://t.co/11e5ZxOdoC