We are showing you the Australian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
From hell with love
Photos and introduction: Joe Hall
Our five riders clipped in early on Sunday 13th March to meet with the parcours of Paris-Roubaix. Somewhere in between St. Quentin and Roubaix a respect for the cobblestones was discovered. These roads have been raced upon since 1896, and explaining the powerful feelings, physical and mental, that they inflict on a rider is not easily explained. There is no doubt this is a special place and the reverence racers and fans of the sport show to Paris-Roubaix is deep. Phil Deeker wrote of the experience, and each day this week, one of the other four riders of our team will describe riding the pavé.
Like running over hot coals. Speed and float. Power, power, power power. Stamp, pull, push, concentrate. If you lose your rhythm you’re sinking or being sucked into hell. The devil swinging off your calves trying to haul you down. Try not be tempted by what looks like a fonder path, the grass is always greener on the other side. Switching your focus only invites unnecessary dangers. Ride like an arrow and you stand a better chance of a cleaner finish. Covered in mud rather than blood. Your first sniff or sight of a cobble, breath in, load your gun with a few clicks, take aim and crank it. Finish the sector, shake your hands out, stop feeling sorry for yourself, get to the front and ready yourself for the next onslaught.
- @playa_mansa Sorry, somehow missed this. Our backpack is great for general use. Most of us here use it both on and off the bike.
- @TheRaceRadio A man experienced in sheep aerodynamics, perhaps. → http://t.co/4ysrDy5bie
- The most recent Rapha Gentlemen’s Race took place in Adelaide with 18 teams lining up for the rolling 160km route. → http://t.co/ZQ3Dzz0NEX
- @andersmagnus Hi Anders, there’s been a delay unfortunately, but thanks for being patient. It will be out as soon as possible.
- We're proud to present one of our favourite films this year, so put some headphones on and enjoy. View the film → http://t.co/B2BXnE3JuY
- Congratulations to yesterday’s Alpe d'Quiz winner Khamarul Rejab who receives a Team Sky bundle. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/h4frOXDYma
- RT @chrishoy: Ok, I'm going to make the call now, and it's a big call, but I reckon @Ed_Clancy will break the World kilo record at the end …
- @Barry8012 @RaphaCycleClub You’re most welcome Simon, thanks for your feedback.
- @antmccrossan Thanks Anthony.
- @brettrothmeyer nice cap drawing by the way!