[ locale string ]
We are showing you the Taiwanese version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Fixed: Global Fixed-Gear Bike Culture
This book on the worldwide phenomenon of fixed-gear riding isn’t just a fanfare for ‘fixie’ hipsters in the major cities of the western world. Certainly, the book details the growth of the now ubiquitous track bike and prevailing fashion. But Fixed also delves into the roots of the fixed-wheel, tracing its heritage from the 19th century high-wheelers and safeties used in the early velodromes to the bike couriers of New York in the 1970s.
“…the fixed gear is the bicycle stripped to its basics, at its most elemental, the purest expression of the diamond-framed form.”
© Leonard McCombe / Getty Images
Featuring interviews and commentary from professional and amateur riders, framebuilders, couriers and bike lovers around the globe, the book brings various aspects of bicycle sport, design, and culture together. The book also features some great pictures.
© Offside / L'Equipe
At a time when cycling is burgeoning as a lifestyle choice as well as a sport (even as an art form) Fixed celebrates the undeniable part the fixed-wheel has played in helping perpetuate this modern bicycle renaissance. Indeed, as the book suggests, the fixed gear culture has acted as a ‘gateway’ into the various channels of cycle sport and design.
Fixed: Global Fixed-Gear Bike Culture by Andrew Edwards and Max Leonard. (Published by Laurence King publishing Ltd. 2009)
- @CanyonUK Everyone loves a hug, thanks.
- @CanyonUK Do we win a prize?
- @c4shr Hello Kash, we're very sorry about that. We'll be in touch shortly to sort things out.
- RT @Strava: Are you ready for the @rapharacing #Festive500? we're challenging riders to clock 500 km between Christmas and NYE. http://t.co…
- RT @JeanzTweet: Yay! Won a nice wash bag & skincare kit at the @rapharacing #alpedquiz. First time ever i won a prize. You rock #teamrapha …
- @JeanzTweet You’re welcome Jens.
- Congrats to yesterday’s Alpe d'Quiz winner Ben Wooliscroft who won a pair of Rapha GT Shoes. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/h4frOXDYma
- RT @michaeltabtabai: @rapharacing #oneoftheseplease Custom Carter handmade chefs knife made here in Oregon by Mastersmith Murray Carter htt…
- @Johnlovesbikes they are in transit and should be here later this week. Thanks for checking in, sorry for the delay.
- RT @tubbytrotter: Yay! I've just won the stunning @rapharacing Womens softshell in the brilliant #AlpedQuiz bring on the winter weather htt…