We are showing you the European version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Fixed: Global Fixed-Gear Bike Culture
This book on the worldwide phenomenon of fixed-gear riding isn’t just a fanfare for ‘fixie’ hipsters in the major cities of the western world. Certainly, the book details the growth of the now ubiquitous track bike and prevailing fashion. But Fixed also delves into the roots of the fixed-wheel, tracing its heritage from the 19th century high-wheelers and safeties used in the early velodromes to the bike couriers of New York in the 1970s.
“…the fixed gear is the bicycle stripped to its basics, at its most elemental, the purest expression of the diamond-framed form.”
© Leonard McCombe / Getty Images
Featuring interviews and commentary from professional and amateur riders, framebuilders, couriers and bike lovers around the globe, the book brings various aspects of bicycle sport, design, and culture together. The book also features some great pictures.
© Offside / L'Equipe
At a time when cycling is burgeoning as a lifestyle choice as well as a sport (even as an art form) Fixed celebrates the undeniable part the fixed-wheel has played in helping perpetuate this modern bicycle renaissance. Indeed, as the book suggests, the fixed gear culture has acted as a ‘gateway’ into the various channels of cycle sport and design.
Fixed: Global Fixed-Gear Bike Culture by Andrew Edwards and Max Leonard. (Published by Laurence King publishing Ltd. 2009)
- @playa_mansa Sorry, somehow missed this. Our backpack is great for general use. Most of us here use it both on and off the bike.
- @TheRaceRadio A man experienced in sheep aerodynamics, perhaps. → http://t.co/4ysrDy5bie
- The most recent Rapha Gentlemen’s Race took place in Adelaide with 18 teams lining up for the rolling 160km route. → http://t.co/ZQ3Dzz0NEX
- @andersmagnus Hi Anders, there’s been a delay unfortunately, but thanks for being patient. It will be out as soon as possible.
- We're proud to present one of our favourite films this year, so put some headphones on and enjoy. View the film → http://t.co/B2BXnE3JuY
- Congratulations to yesterday’s Alpe d'Quiz winner Khamarul Rejab who receives a Team Sky bundle. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/h4frOXDYma
- RT @chrishoy: Ok, I'm going to make the call now, and it's a big call, but I reckon @Ed_Clancy will break the World kilo record at the end …
- @Barry8012 @RaphaCycleClub You’re most welcome Simon, thanks for your feedback.
- @antmccrossan Thanks Anthony.
- @brettrothmeyer nice cap drawing by the way!