We are showing you the Canadian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Fixed: Global Fixed-Gear Bike Culture
This book on the worldwide phenomenon of fixed-gear riding isn’t just a fanfare for ‘fixie’ hipsters in the major cities of the western world. Certainly, the book details the growth of the now ubiquitous track bike and prevailing fashion. But Fixed also delves into the roots of the fixed-wheel, tracing its heritage from the 19th century high-wheelers and safeties used in the early velodromes to the bike couriers of New York in the 1970s.
“…the fixed gear is the bicycle stripped to its basics, at its most elemental, the purest expression of the diamond-framed form.”
© Leonard McCombe / Getty Images
Featuring interviews and commentary from professional and amateur riders, framebuilders, couriers and bike lovers around the globe, the book brings various aspects of bicycle sport, design, and culture together. The book also features some great pictures.
© Offside / L'Equipe
At a time when cycling is burgeoning as a lifestyle choice as well as a sport (even as an art form) Fixed celebrates the undeniable part the fixed-wheel has played in helping perpetuate this modern bicycle renaissance. Indeed, as the book suggests, the fixed gear culture has acted as a ‘gateway’ into the various channels of cycle sport and design.
Fixed: Global Fixed-Gear Bike Culture by Andrew Edwards and Max Leonard. (Published by Laurence King publishing Ltd. 2009)
- A Rapha travel set is up for grabs in Alpe D'Quiz today, featuring a luxurious Rapha Skincare bundle and Wash Bag. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- Cool to see our friends @chriskingbuzz representing in the mix of the elite men's race. #mycielo Parbo! http://t.co/L8g8gNofyR
- The masked man on the cyclocross course today was @jeremypowers. It was that cold. http://t.co/KztIjCYu4O
- Calm and confident on the snow - Katerina Nash is off to an early lead. http://t.co/8TynNP7Nho
- Mr. McDonald's tire choice for today's snowy conditions. Can you guess his PSI? http://t.co/2iHgOw6sUw
- They reopened the ice covered fly-over here in Bend. http://t.co/6xOs5BSd0W
- River City Bicycles racer Ryan (Dream) Weaver 2_wicked_awesome powered his way to a chilly 2nd in the… http://t.co/HDDjDnS99w
- Meanwhile over in Bend, Oregon it is a bright, crisp day for cyclocross racing. http://t.co/6lcDQK5UNX
- If you're in Scottsdale, Arizona, make sure to stop by the beautiful new @bicyclehaus shop. 2 - 7pm. http://t.co/gsWtf6fa45
- Win today's Alpe D'Quiz prize: a Men's or Women's Classic Softshell. ‘A thing of beauty,’ according to The Times. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq