We are showing you the Norwegian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
James Selman, long-time friend and Rapha Continental rider told me some years back something to the effect of "You don't get out of the saddle until April." To him winter and early spring are for building, so you sit, climb and strengthen.
After being on the road away from the bike the whole month of January, strength is something that I am very much lacking right now. Actually anything resembling fitness currently escapes me. So when I hit the base of a small rise (presently posing as a major hill) on a quick lunch spin on a sunny Portland winter day I thought of James when I saw a rider standing and stomping up the climb.
Wearing a classic Lemond long-sleeve team jersey and riding a lovely metallic purple Lemond of the same era, fully fendered for winter riding in Portland, I liked this gentleman's style. Still it's February 2nd, too early to be pouncing uphill.
Rolling by him with a simple "how's it going", I was immediately amused and understanding of his response.
Me: "How you doing?"
Lemond rider: "Fat."
Not a "good", or "alright", nor silence—just "fat". I couldn't have said it better myself.
I know that I am in fact not fat by any standard of American scales, but with a full month layoff coming on the heels of two weeks of post-cyclocross season blues, I am fat. For a cyclist. For me anyway. I can blame my slow pace on my lovely winter training Ira Ryan bicycle all I want but I don't have to pinch too hard to know the problem doesn't lay with the bike, but rather the rider.
Good news is that I also know the solution.
- Third team overall for the Men in Black at Stoke last night in the @TourSeries
- 2 be clear that was @johnherety decision to not let @AaronBuggle start. Tour of Korea and Irish National Champs will be his next rendezvous
- Happy to report @AaronBuggle is as good looking as ever after 13 stitches in his chin. Sorry to report not letting him start tomorrow though
- @flammecast @AaronBuggle His Shrone is fine !!!
- Big thanks to all marshals,coms and medical staff on the @anpostras today. Great work despite the numerous demands on their services today.
- Just to let all his girl fans know @AaronBuggle is ok. He's in hospital and will need some surgery on a cut to his chin. Will update later.
- We've just added 13 new rides since the weekend to our Rapha #womens100 Find a Ride list. → http://t.co/ux8c1JCuQc
- The team also racing the Ras in Ireland this week. Currently Aaron Buggle is the team's top placed rider in 15th overall.
- Tour Series resumes tonight in Stoke on Trent. RCJ line up is House, Clancy, McCallum, English and Mellor.
- Arboretum → http://t.co/cJXOyDWnK0 #raphasurvey #sanfrancisco #sf #cycling