We are showing you the European version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
One of the joys of a hard day in the saddle is that warm, satisfied internal glow you feel in the aftermath of your ride. It amplifies the sense of achievement you get from climbing or descending a mountain, finishing a race, completing a sportive or reaching a training target. There are times after a ride where I feel immensely euphoric and talking with friends, enjoying a cold beer and listening to music is better than ever. Surely this isn’t just because of the Rapha Bib Shorts I’m wearing?
Endorphins are endogenous opioid polypeptide compounds. Eric Simon, who discovered opioid receptors in the brain, created the term by abbreviating ‘endogenous morphine’, which implies ‘a morphine-like substance originating from within the body.’ They are produced by the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus in the spine (which links the brain to the central nervous system) during exercise and they resemble opiates as they produce a natural anaesthetic and sense of well-being.
Endorphins allow humans to feel in control allowing them to persist with physical activity over long periods. However, it is not proven that moving the body across a pain threshold (such as climbing a mountain or sprinting for the line during a criterium) is the only trigger for the release of endorphins. It is suggested that endorphins are some of the many chemicals that contribute to the high cyclist’s receive after a hard ride; other chemicals include adrenaline, serotonin, and dopamine. Time for a ride in the autumn sunshine.
- Well done to @AlanLyne who won through @sticky_bottle a day in the @raphacondor JLT team car for the last stage of the @anpostras
- Last Night: http://t.co/K8ZACmUGGK
- The #raphaprestige story is up. Film by @WEREHAUS, photos from Brian Vernor & story by @krasniakjulie ::http://t.co/YtCARBlXee
- Clancy takes the win in the Tour series in Aberystwyth.
- @alainrumpf sorry for late reply. Comprehensive site is http://t.co/gBvpR134lP. As Udo Bölts once said, 'quäl' dich, du Sau!' Enjoy!
- On Friday May 31st, Rapha will be hosting a ride from Rapperswil-Jona on the banks of Lake Zurich. More info to follow next week on rapha.cc
- Boss. Norwegian national champion's replica jersey and bib shorts now at rapha.cc. http://t.co/fpyjc3PeiM
- As the #Giro begins to climax, @herbiesykes looks at one of its long-established traditions—the one-stage wonder. → http://t.co/mydWSIHSrT
- @clotho_nor Hi Christopher, please email email@example.com and we’ll see what we can do. Thanks.
- The Tour Series continues tonight in Aberystwyth. Last year Kristian House took his second win of the series there.