We are showing you the European version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
One of the joys of a hard day in the saddle is that warm, satisfied internal glow you feel in the aftermath of your ride. It amplifies the sense of achievement you get from climbing or descending a mountain, finishing a race, completing a sportive or reaching a training target. There are times after a ride where I feel immensely euphoric and talking with friends, enjoying a cold beer and listening to music is better than ever. Surely this isn’t just because of the Rapha Bib Shorts I’m wearing?
Endorphins are endogenous opioid polypeptide compounds. Eric Simon, who discovered opioid receptors in the brain, created the term by abbreviating ‘endogenous morphine’, which implies ‘a morphine-like substance originating from within the body.’ They are produced by the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus in the spine (which links the brain to the central nervous system) during exercise and they resemble opiates as they produce a natural anaesthetic and sense of well-being.
Endorphins allow humans to feel in control allowing them to persist with physical activity over long periods. However, it is not proven that moving the body across a pain threshold (such as climbing a mountain or sprinting for the line during a criterium) is the only trigger for the release of endorphins. It is suggested that endorphins are some of the many chemicals that contribute to the high cyclist’s receive after a hard ride; other chemicals include adrenaline, serotonin, and dopamine. Time for a ride in the autumn sunshine.
- They reopened the ice covered fly-over here in Bend. http://t.co/6xOs5BSd0W
- River City Bicycles racer Ryan (Dream) Weaver 2_wicked_awesome powered his way to a chilly 2nd in the… http://t.co/HDDjDnS99w
- Meanwhile over in Bend, Oregon it is a bright, crisp day for cyclocross racing. http://t.co/6lcDQK5UNX
- If you're in Scottsdale, Arizona, make sure to stop by the beautiful new @bicyclehaus shop. 2 - 7pm. http://t.co/gsWtf6fa45
- Win today's Alpe D'Quiz prize: a Men's or Women's Classic Softshell. ‘A thing of beauty,’ according to The Times. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- @tribryan Hi Bryan, that’s a discontinued Irish Country Jersey which is no longer in production, sorry to disappoint.
- @vickiewoodsford @richardhier @daithetooth Thanks Vickie, glad we were able to help too.
- @ServiceCourse @richardhier @daithetooth You’re all too kind, thank you.
- @richardhier Thanks Richard, have a good weekend. Will pass on your thanks to Peter.
- Stylish, creative, sharp? We all know a sartorial city rider that can be tricky to buy for. See our guide for hints → http://t.co/dul9phwMoX