We are showing you the Global version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Nicknamed El Diablo (when racing in S. America) for his devilish attacking style, Claudio Chiappucci was one of the most charismatic stars of the peloton in the 1990s. Firing onto the scene in the 1990 Tour de France, Chiappucci led an early break on the first stage and remained in yellow until Greg Lemond seized top spot in the final TT. His most famous win came on stage 13 of the 1992 Tour: Attacking on the first climb, he held off both Gianni Bugno and Miguel Indurain all the way to the finish in Sestriere. The final climb was also a poignant place for victory as Fausto Coppi, Il Campionissimo, had won there in similar style several generations before.
Chiappucci was the first Italian cyclist to arrive on the podium at the Tour since Felice Gimondi in 1972. He also won the 1991 Milan San-Remo and finished second at the Giro d’Italia in the same year. Chiappucci won the climber’s prize twice at the Giro and the Tour. He was also a major influence on another Italian climbing sensation of the 1990s, Marco Pantani.
Still a keen rider and a man forever in love with the sport, Claudio will be a special guest at this year’s inaugural Rapha Randonnée Appennini. For more information on the Randonnee Appennini visit.
Tour de France
1990 – 2nd
1991 – 3rd
1992 – 2nd + Stage 13 win
Polka Dot Jersey – 1991, 1992
Three stage wins in total in Tour de France
1991 – 2nd
1992 – 2nd
1993 – 3rd
Climbers (Green) jersey – 1990, 1992, 1993
Points jersey – 1991
A clip of El Diablo stealing to victory at the '91 Milan-San Remo, of which the 2010 edition is held this Saturday:
- RT @rapharacing: A Rapha travel set is up for grabs in Alpe D'Quiz today, featuring a luxurious Rapha Skincare bundle and Wash Bag. → http:…
- Somewhat late to the party, but be sure to check out the film to the recent Gentlemen's Race in… http://t.co/RMZUDuxWRc
- A Rapha travel set is up for grabs in Alpe D'Quiz today, featuring a luxurious Rapha Skincare bundle and Wash Bag. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- Cool to see our friends @chriskingbuzz representing in the mix of the elite men's race. #mycielo Parbo! http://t.co/L8g8gNofyR
- The masked man on the cyclocross course today was @jeremypowers. It was that cold. http://t.co/KztIjCYu4O
- Calm and confident on the snow - Katerina Nash is off to an early lead. http://t.co/8TynNP7Nho
- Mr. McDonald's tire choice for today's snowy conditions. Can you guess his PSI? http://t.co/2iHgOw6sUw
- They reopened the ice covered fly-over here in Bend. http://t.co/6xOs5BSd0W
- River City Bicycles racer Ryan (Dream) Weaver 2_wicked_awesome powered his way to a chilly 2nd in the… http://t.co/HDDjDnS99w
- Meanwhile over in Bend, Oregon it is a bright, crisp day for cyclocross racing. http://t.co/6lcDQK5UNX