Cette page n'a pas encore été traduite en Français.
We are showing you the French version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Vous visitez la version française de notre site internet. Voulez-vous changer de version?
Nicknamed El Diablo (when racing in S. America) for his devilish attacking style, Claudio Chiappucci was one of the most charismatic stars of the peloton in the 1990s. Firing onto the scene in the 1990 Tour de France, Chiappucci led an early break on the first stage and remained in yellow until Greg Lemond seized top spot in the final TT. His most famous win came on stage 13 of the 1992 Tour: Attacking on the first climb, he held off both Gianni Bugno and Miguel Indurain all the way to the finish in Sestriere. The final climb was also a poignant place for victory as Fausto Coppi, Il Campionissimo, had won there in similar style several generations before.
Chiappucci was the first Italian cyclist to arrive on the podium at the Tour since Felice Gimondi in 1972. He also won the 1991 Milan San-Remo and finished second at the Giro d’Italia in the same year. Chiappucci won the climber’s prize twice at the Giro and the Tour. He was also a major influence on another Italian climbing sensation of the 1990s, Marco Pantani.
Still a keen rider and a man forever in love with the sport, Claudio will be a special guest at this year’s inaugural Rapha Randonnée Appennini. For more information on the Randonnee Appennini visit.
Tour de France
1990 – 2nd
1991 – 3rd
1992 – 2nd + Stage 13 win
Polka Dot Jersey – 1991, 1992
Three stage wins in total in Tour de France
1991 – 2nd
1992 – 2nd
1993 – 3rd
Climbers (Green) jersey – 1990, 1992, 1993
Points jersey – 1991
A clip of El Diablo stealing to victory at the '91 Milan-San Remo, of which the 2010 edition is held this Saturday:
- 2 be clear that was @johnherety decision to not let @AaronBuggle start. Tour of Korea and Irish National Champs will be his next rendezvous
- Happy to report @AaronBuggle is as good looking as ever after 13 stitches in his chin. Sorry to report not letting him start tomorrow though
- @flammecast @AaronBuggle His Shrone is fine !!!
- Big thanks to all marshals,coms and medical staff on the @anpostras today. Great work despite the numerous demands on their services today.
- Just to let all his girl fans know @AaronBuggle is ok. He's in hospital and will need some surgery on a cut to his chin. Will update later.
- We've just added 13 new rides since the weekend to our Rapha #womens100 Find a Ride list. → http://t.co/ux8c1JCuQc
- The team also racing the Ras in Ireland this week. Currently Aaron Buggle is the team's top placed rider in 15th overall.
- Tour Series resumes tonight in Stoke on Trent. RCJ line up is House, Clancy, McCallum, English and Mellor.
- Arboretum → http://t.co/cJXOyDWnK0 #raphasurvey #sanfrancisco #sf #cycling
- There are still a few of these sweet Rapha + Raeburn jackets at the SF @raphacycleclub. http://t.co/C2d98yCRL0