We are showing you the US version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Day One: Tim Johnson's Ride on Washington
Day One: Boston, MA — Hartford, CT (115 Miles, 8,500 feet of elevation.)
Preparing for the first day of Tim Johnson's Ride on Washington happened in a variety of ways, but none that would accurately prep us for the frigid temperatures that we would face for the first part of the ride. However, ride organizer Richard Fries is fond of a Norwegian saying that goes "There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing." The saying proved to be true as we were layered, bundled and covered ourselves from head to toe in every piece of gear that we brought. As an added bonus if there was a sentiment that would, or could encompass the whole four days, it would be this. We did not know it at this point, but we would face every possible scenario that the elements could throw at one group of cyclists. We knew going into it that there would be a chance of rain, but we did not know how much.
Aside from Mr. Fries (and of course Tim Johnson) the ride was filled with a multi-generational cast of characters that would lighten the load all the way to Washington D.C. There were seven of us that rode the entirety (475 miles) of the way with over 100 people jumping in to ride with us at various points. The bikes, the clothing, the support — Butch Balzano from SRAM NRS — and the generosity of everyone along the way would make this the an amazing way to engage an audience for the work that Bikes Belong does for cyclists.
- We're proud to present one of our favourite films this year, so put some headphones on and enjoy. View the film → http://t.co/B2BXnE3JuY
- Congratulations to yesterday’s Alpe d'Quiz winner Khamarul Rejab who receives a Team Sky bundle. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/h4frOXDYma
- RT @chrishoy: Ok, I'm going to make the call now, and it's a big call, but I reckon @Ed_Clancy will break the World kilo record at the end …
- @Barry8012 @RaphaCycleClub You’re most welcome Simon, thanks for your feedback.
- @antmccrossan Thanks Anthony.
- @brettrothmeyer nice cap drawing by the way!
- @Jack_Sadler @raphacondor We’re honoured to have you riding for us Jack.
- RT @dean0downing: I had 6 great seasons with the @raphacondor team, thanks to all at @rapharacing for the support through out. http://t.co/…
- @dean0downing @raphacondor Thank you Dean, it’s been an incredible journey.
- Eeny meeny miny moe. Aka Sean, Freddy, Roger and Francesco. If like me you can't decide which one of… http://t.co/o5b8KuTdCX