[ locale string ]
We are showing you the Taiwanese version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Day One: Tim Johnson's Ride on Washington
Day One: Boston, MA — Hartford, CT (115 Miles, 8,500 feet of elevation.)
Preparing for the first day of Tim Johnson's Ride on Washington happened in a variety of ways, but none that would accurately prep us for the frigid temperatures that we would face for the first part of the ride. However, ride organizer Richard Fries is fond of a Norwegian saying that goes "There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing." The saying proved to be true as we were layered, bundled and covered ourselves from head to toe in every piece of gear that we brought. As an added bonus if there was a sentiment that would, or could encompass the whole four days, it would be this. We did not know it at this point, but we would face every possible scenario that the elements could throw at one group of cyclists. We knew going into it that there would be a chance of rain, but we did not know how much.
Aside from Mr. Fries (and of course Tim Johnson) the ride was filled with a multi-generational cast of characters that would lighten the load all the way to Washington D.C. There were seven of us that rode the entirety (475 miles) of the way with over 100 people jumping in to ride with us at various points. The bikes, the clothing, the support — Butch Balzano from SRAM NRS — and the generosity of everyone along the way would make this the an amazing way to engage an audience for the work that Bikes Belong does for cyclists.
- Third team overall for the Men in Black at Stoke last night in the @TourSeries
- 2 be clear that was @johnherety decision to not let @AaronBuggle start. Tour of Korea and Irish National Champs will be his next rendezvous
- Happy to report @AaronBuggle is as good looking as ever after 13 stitches in his chin. Sorry to report not letting him start tomorrow though
- @flammecast @AaronBuggle His Shrone is fine !!!
- Big thanks to all marshals,coms and medical staff on the @anpostras today. Great work despite the numerous demands on their services today.
- Just to let all his girl fans know @AaronBuggle is ok. He's in hospital and will need some surgery on a cut to his chin. Will update later.
- We've just added 13 new rides since the weekend to our Rapha #womens100 Find a Ride list. → http://t.co/ux8c1JCuQc
- The team also racing the Ras in Ireland this week. Currently Aaron Buggle is the team's top placed rider in 15th overall.
- Tour Series resumes tonight in Stoke on Trent. RCJ line up is House, Clancy, McCallum, English and Mellor.
- Arboretum → http://t.co/cJXOyDWnK0 #raphasurvey #sanfrancisco #sf #cycling