We are showing you the European version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Day One: Tim Johnson's Ride on Washington
Day One: Boston, MA — Hartford, CT (115 Miles, 8,500 feet of elevation.)
Preparing for the first day of Tim Johnson's Ride on Washington happened in a variety of ways, but none that would accurately prep us for the frigid temperatures that we would face for the first part of the ride. However, ride organizer Richard Fries is fond of a Norwegian saying that goes "There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing." The saying proved to be true as we were layered, bundled and covered ourselves from head to toe in every piece of gear that we brought. As an added bonus if there was a sentiment that would, or could encompass the whole four days, it would be this. We did not know it at this point, but we would face every possible scenario that the elements could throw at one group of cyclists. We knew going into it that there would be a chance of rain, but we did not know how much.
Aside from Mr. Fries (and of course Tim Johnson) the ride was filled with a multi-generational cast of characters that would lighten the load all the way to Washington D.C. There were seven of us that rode the entirety (475 miles) of the way with over 100 people jumping in to ride with us at various points. The bikes, the clothing, the support — Butch Balzano from SRAM NRS — and the generosity of everyone along the way would make this the an amazing way to engage an audience for the work that Bikes Belong does for cyclists.
- No change overall at the Ras today, Rich Handley remains in 5th, and Mike Cuming stills leads KOM
- RT @anpostras: Provisional GC after Stage 5: Bialoblocki, McConvey, Guldhammer <all @st, Handley & Pelletier-Roy @24secs, Fodor @46secs, Hu…
- RT @anpostras: Mike Cuming (Rapha Condor JLT) Will wear Mountains Jersey again, after Stage 5 #Ras2013
- RT @NickLathamPhoto: @raphacondor Photos of Kristian House winning Durham stage in a blog post at http://t.co/wHX8d0mlQc #tourseries Pls R…
- RT @IonaNiDhalaigh: Yahhh mountain jersey in the bag!!! Nice one @mike_cuming!!! @raphacondor http://t.co/GrGqSL0Kgl
- RT @CondorWarehouse: Nice to see the @raphacondor JLT team bike on display @campagnolosrl HQ with so many top pro teams http://t.co/5CgE0tY…
- RT @anpostras: GC after Stage 4: Bialoblocki,, McConvey, Guldhammer, Handley, Pelletier-Roy, Hunal, Simon Yates, Fodor, Roger Aiken, Archbo…
- Spare a thought for @Porterelliott who punctured out of the yellow jersey group, when will he get some luck!
- Took the @anpostras on today. Didn't quite pull it off. @RichHandley90 4th on GC and @mike_cuming in the KoM jersey.
- Tour series update from Stoke up on the site http://t.co/aVdcnGnkOX