[ locale string ]
Day One: Tim Johnson's Ride on Washington
Day One: Boston, MA — Hartford, CT (115 Miles, 8,500 feet of elevation.)
Preparing for the first day of Tim Johnson's Ride on Washington happened in a variety of ways, but none that would accurately prep us for the frigid temperatures that we would face for the first part of the ride. However, ride organizer Richard Fries is fond of a Norwegian saying that goes "There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing." The saying proved to be true as we were layered, bundled and covered ourselves from head to toe in every piece of gear that we brought. As an added bonus if there was a sentiment that would, or could encompass the whole four days, it would be this. We did not know it at this point, but we would face every possible scenario that the elements could throw at one group of cyclists. We knew going into it that there would be a chance of rain, but we did not know how much.
Aside from Mr. Fries (and of course Tim Johnson) the ride was filled with a multi-generational cast of characters that would lighten the load all the way to Washington D.C. There were seven of us that rode the entirety (475 miles) of the way with over 100 people jumping in to ride with us at various points. The bikes, the clothing, the support — Butch Balzano from SRAM NRS — and the generosity of everyone along the way would make this the an amazing way to engage an audience for the work that Bikes Belong does for cyclists.
- A Rapha travel set is up for grabs in Alpe D'Quiz today, featuring a luxurious Rapha Skincare bundle and Wash Bag. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- Cool to see our friends @chriskingbuzz representing in the mix of the elite men's race. #mycielo Parbo! http://t.co/L8g8gNofyR
- The masked man on the cyclocross course today was @jeremypowers. It was that cold. http://t.co/KztIjCYu4O
- Calm and confident on the snow - Katerina Nash is off to an early lead. http://t.co/8TynNP7Nho
- Mr. McDonald's tire choice for today's snowy conditions. Can you guess his PSI? http://t.co/2iHgOw6sUw
- They reopened the ice covered fly-over here in Bend. http://t.co/6xOs5BSd0W
- River City Bicycles racer Ryan (Dream) Weaver 2_wicked_awesome powered his way to a chilly 2nd in the… http://t.co/HDDjDnS99w
- Meanwhile over in Bend, Oregon it is a bright, crisp day for cyclocross racing. http://t.co/6lcDQK5UNX
- If you're in Scottsdale, Arizona, make sure to stop by the beautiful new @bicyclehaus shop. 2 - 7pm. http://t.co/gsWtf6fa45
- Win today's Alpe D'Quiz prize: a Men's or Women's Classic Softshell. ‘A thing of beauty,’ according to The Times. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq