We are showing you the Norwegian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
This is probably my least favorite week of the year. The shorter, darker days that accompany the clocks 'falling back' always puts me off a bit. Suddenly it's dark both coming and going, and it takes me a full week to adjust.
This year, the first dark ride into the office on Monday will be even a bit darker than usual. A year ago November 5, we all lost a friend of the bike. Most of us didn't know it, and until I picked up a panicked phone-call, I had never heard of Robert Hyndman. But ever since I got the call from Ben Lieberson that somebody had "crashed pretty bad" on what was otherwise a terrific group ride from Santa Monica into the beautiful canyons overlooking the Pacific Ocean, it has been a steady reminder of appreciation.
On a gorgeous route that I myself had done with a group earlier that spring, friends, family and customers rode together as part of the one-anniversary celebration for our partner shop, Bike Effect. When Robert crashed as he was descending Los Flores Canyon Road all feeling of celebration instantly extinguished. By all account it was immediately clear that this accident, this horrible and inexplicable accident was just that, an accident.
A sad reality is that this sport we love, this life we have chosen of the bike, can have real consequence. As fans we have witnessed it in professional racing. Many of us have likely ridden past a white 'ghost' bike as we've gone through the city. There are ample reminders about how the beauty and tragedy blur.
In talking with Robert's friends and family since, I have learned how Robert lived and loved the bike. I have been reminded that what we get to do is special. And that the bicycle brings us all so, so much to love about ourselves and all that we encounter.
Be safe out there.
- RT @rapharacing: A Rapha travel set is up for grabs in Alpe D'Quiz today, featuring a luxurious Rapha Skincare bundle and Wash Bag. → http:…
- Somewhat late to the party, but be sure to check out the film to the recent Gentlemen's Race in… http://t.co/RMZUDuxWRc
- A Rapha travel set is up for grabs in Alpe D'Quiz today, featuring a luxurious Rapha Skincare bundle and Wash Bag. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- Cool to see our friends @chriskingbuzz representing in the mix of the elite men's race. #mycielo Parbo! http://t.co/L8g8gNofyR
- The masked man on the cyclocross course today was @jeremypowers. It was that cold. http://t.co/KztIjCYu4O
- Calm and confident on the snow - Katerina Nash is off to an early lead. http://t.co/8TynNP7Nho
- Mr. McDonald's tire choice for today's snowy conditions. Can you guess his PSI? http://t.co/2iHgOw6sUw
- They reopened the ice covered fly-over here in Bend. http://t.co/6xOs5BSd0W
- River City Bicycles racer Ryan (Dream) Weaver 2_wicked_awesome powered his way to a chilly 2nd in the… http://t.co/HDDjDnS99w
- Meanwhile over in Bend, Oregon it is a bright, crisp day for cyclocross racing. http://t.co/6lcDQK5UNX