We are showing you the UK version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Riding or racing a bicycle has, for many, a romantic aura. When the first precursor to the lightweights we now ride appeared, Baron Karl von Drais’ ‘Laufmaschine’, it was regarded as an eccentric accessory for the romantic gentleman or ‘dandy’ and thus dubbed the Dandy Horse. The ‘dandy’ may today be used as a derogatory slur for an 'overdressed fop', but figures such as George ‘Beau’ Brummell showed the self-made, non-aristocratic male how to pursue leisurely hobbies and embrace refinement and high society. Contraptions such as this newly invented Velocipide were facets of the high-brow culture of dandyism.
The cravat wearing Brummell strived to perfect the forms of appearance with understated and subtle beauty. He is credited with establishing the modern man’s suit, something which Rapha and Timothy Everset recently made innovations in for the modern cyclist. And modern is the word. Whilst the dandy of the 18th and 19th centuries dressed in an aristocratic style, his habits of dress and fashion broke with past traditions. Dandyism can be associated with living in style and the sartorial cyclist can be seen as a contemporary dandy, a man of refined taste and gallant progression.
(Of course there also exists the female dandy, historically termed the quaintrelle).
- RT @IonaNiDhalaigh: Yahhh mountain jersey in the bag!!! Nice one @mike_cuming!!! @raphacondor http://t.co/GrGqSL0Kgl
- RT @CondorWarehouse: Nice to see the @raphacondor JLT team bike on display @campagnolosrl HQ with so many top pro teams http://t.co/5CgE0tY…
- RT @anpostras: GC after Stage 4: Bialoblocki,, McConvey, Guldhammer, Handley, Pelletier-Roy, Hunal, Simon Yates, Fodor, Roger Aiken, Archbo…
- Spare a thought for @Porterelliott who punctured out of the yellow jersey group, when will he get some luck!
- Took the @anpostras on today. Didn't quite pull it off. @RichHandley90 4th on GC and @mike_cuming in the KoM jersey.
- Tour series update from Stoke up on the site http://t.co/aVdcnGnkOX
- RT @elstopbanana: Here's Kristian House @raphacondor at last night's @TourSeries picture by Sue Howlett Great racing! @SoTCityCouncil http:…
- RT @sticky_bottle: Meant to say, to be eligible for the @raphacondor team car compeition you have to be a stickybottle twitter follower!
- RT @sticky_bottle: OK folks; nice morning for it. To win a day in the Rapha Condor JLT team car on the Rás last stage, Sunday, just retweet…
- Third team overall for the Men in Black at Stoke last night in the @TourSeries