We are showing you the Japanese version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Cyclocross Photography with Dan Sharp
Take a look through the Cyclocross Collection photography, featured with the Lunch With JPow story, shot by Portland photographer Dan Sharp. This is the third year that Dan has brought us images of our cross products, aside from being one of the creative forces behind the creation of the Rapha Continental. It only seemed fitting that it should be Dan featured this week as the Rapha Facebook Page looks for your Rapha-FOCUS photography. Click through for a question and answer with Dan Sharp on shooting cyclocross and submit your Rapha-FOCUS photos to the Facebook page for the rest of the week.
How long have you been shooting Cyclocross racing?
I think the first cross race I shot was probably four years ago.
What was the first race that you shot?
I’m pretty sure it was a Cross Crusade race at Alpenrose .
As someone who has shot other sports such as running, how does this sport differ?
Cross is so fast and chaotic, so it’s a real challenge to shoot well. You also have to take weather into consideration. In the Pacific NW we often have rain, which means mud or the possibility of snow for December races. Another factor to contend with is cheering fans and course dividers. It can be hard to find a good vantage point. But those challenges are also the beauty of the sport.
What is your favorite format to shoot with?
Lets do the word association game… first few words that come to mind when you think of Cyclocross? Quick!
Do you have one particular racer, or category that you like to shoot?
Obviously the pros. Check their technique! But I love the heart and
energy that all the other categories show as well. And it’s always fun
to share photos of your friends and teammates. You have to check out a kiddie cross race too.
Muddy and sloppy or dry and fast? (That's a bike racing question.)
Yes. Both. Just not a huge fan of off-camber turns on dry grass right
now (for obvious broken fibula reasons)
Do you have aspirations to shoot European Cyclocross? I know you have been over there for some road races like the Giro d'Italia, what about Cross?
Any tips that you might have for photographers aspiring to shoot Cyclocross?
The beauty of cross is that it’s about participation and it’s available to just about everyone. Look at all the sizes and shapes of riders on any given weekend. Just go out there and do it. Shoot it with your phone, your point-n-shoot, your Holga…whatever, just bring your own vision to it. Show us what you love about ‘cross. Make it your own. Act like you’re racing. Know the course layout if possible. Have fun with it.
- @Johnlovesbikes they are in transit and should be here later this week. Thanks for checking in, sorry for the delay.
- RT @tubbytrotter: Yay! I've just won the stunning @rapharacing Womens softshell in the brilliant #AlpedQuiz bring on the winter weather htt…
- Still stuck for gift ideas for someone? Scan their Twitter/Instagram feeds for #oneoftheseplease. → http://t.co/qVKiV4q8mQ
- @xuano_4 Yes it is open to anyone.
- Make sure you enter Alpe d'Quiz today. One lucky winner will receive a pair of Rapha GT Shoes. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq #oneoftheseplease
- Congratulations to the weekend's Alpe d'Quiz winners Joanne Rushton, @tubbytrotter, @jeanztweet. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- Make sure you enter Alpe d'Quiz today. One lucky winner will receive a pair of the finest Rapha Grand Tour Shoes. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- RT @rapharacing: A Rapha travel set is up for grabs in Alpe D'Quiz today, featuring a luxurious Rapha Skincare bundle and Wash Bag. → http:…
- Somewhat late to the party, but be sure to check out the film to the recent Gentlemen's Race in… http://t.co/RMZUDuxWRc
- A Rapha travel set is up for grabs in Alpe D'Quiz today, featuring a luxurious Rapha Skincare bundle and Wash Bag. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq