We are showing you the Norwegian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Cyclocross photography with Chris Milliman
photos by Chris Milliman
It is all about Cyclocross photography over on the Rapha Facebook Page these days. With a new theme each week the competition should shape up nicely. To continue the conversation around Cyclocross and Photography we thought it pertinent to speak to some of the real professionals in this situation about what they like to do on the Cyclocross courses everywhere — the photographers that is. Chris Milliman's photography should be of no surprise to anyone here. Not only has he shot photography for the Rapha Continental on more than one occasion, but most recently, he shot the 2011 NE Gentlemen's Race in Pennsylvania. If that is not enough for you Chris Milliman has also shot not only most of the big European Cyclocross races, but also a handful of the Classic road races - Flanders, Roubaix, Gent-Wevelgem, you name it. Take a look below at a few questions that we sent over to Chris to help you get an idea of how a professional of this caliber takes to shooting Cyclocross. Then, head over to the Rapha Facebook Page to check out (and vote on) the photos that everyone has put up. Be sure to post a Cyclocross photo of your own to be entered in the competition.
How long have you been shooting Cyclocross racing?
What was the first race that you shot?
Super Cup in Gloucester, before I was really even a photographer. I was racing and my job at the time had some cameras I borrowed.
What differentiates shooting Cross from other Cycling sports?
It's more like a stadium sport, a confined location with fans all around. And you don't have to chase the action, it happens right in front of you. And the conditions, too. Much more interesting.
What is your favorite format to shoot with?
Medium format print film. More challenging and more interesting.
Lets do the word association game… first few words that come to mind when you think of Cyclocross? Quick!
Fun. Hard. Messy.
Do you have one particular racer, or category that you like to shoot?
There is nothing better than shooting the top pros. Stybar always looks good on the bike, very smooth but also gives the pain face.
Muddy and sloppy or dry and fast? (That's a bike racing question.)
Muddy and sloppy. The slower and heavier, the better.
What is it like to shoot the European Cyclocross Races vs. The USA?
It's better in Europe. Way better. Courses are more interesting, weather is generally worse, and the crowds are bigger. Plus, you can hit the frites cart and beer tent between races.
Any tips that you might have for photographers aspiring to shoot Cyclocross?
Know the race course, don't get caught up in the action, and know the pictures not to take. There's so much going on at a cross race and so many possibilities for shooting that picking and choosing your spots becomes even more important.
So, there you have it, now you know what it takes to be a professional Cyclocross photographer. Well, conceivably there is a bit more mystique and magic behind the art of photography than that. But, check back here in the coming weeks for a few more brief chats with a few of our favorite Cyclocross photographers.
- There are still a few of these sweet Rapha + Raeburn jackets at the SF @raphacycleclub. http://t.co/C2d98yCRL0
- The hills above. #raphasurvey http://t.co/jlIkXowxyT
- U23 winner in 2012 what's in store for @RichHandley90 in the @anpostras http://t.co/xyZWX3NbtG
- Sunday morning race day, church car park scene. @anpostras #ras2013 http://t.co/2E1UlfAxhe
- Will all these numbers be able to wear the coveted t-shirt in one weeks time? #menoftheras #ras2013 http://t.co/ai1oqnDIyh
- Team about to start the @anpostras probably the Worlds friendliest race.
- RT @nedboulting: Kristian House's Grandad was a fantastic man. He told me about him once. Then I read this: http://t.co/ZCeYbm4sFU
- @DeanHardman @nedboulting @j_t_locke such a shame...
- @TeamSkyGirl @nedboulting @j_t_locke we've asked JTL to change his name.
- RT @Ed_Clancy: Watch @raphacondor team mate Kristian House take another win (and lap me in the process) around his favourite circuit to…