We are showing you the Japanese version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Cyclocross photography with Chris Milliman
photos by Chris Milliman
It is all about Cyclocross photography over on the Rapha Facebook Page these days. With a new theme each week the competition should shape up nicely. To continue the conversation around Cyclocross and Photography we thought it pertinent to speak to some of the real professionals in this situation about what they like to do on the Cyclocross courses everywhere — the photographers that is. Chris Milliman's photography should be of no surprise to anyone here. Not only has he shot photography for the Rapha Continental on more than one occasion, but most recently, he shot the 2011 NE Gentlemen's Race in Pennsylvania. If that is not enough for you Chris Milliman has also shot not only most of the big European Cyclocross races, but also a handful of the Classic road races - Flanders, Roubaix, Gent-Wevelgem, you name it. Take a look below at a few questions that we sent over to Chris to help you get an idea of how a professional of this caliber takes to shooting Cyclocross. Then, head over to the Rapha Facebook Page to check out (and vote on) the photos that everyone has put up. Be sure to post a Cyclocross photo of your own to be entered in the competition.
How long have you been shooting Cyclocross racing?
What was the first race that you shot?
Super Cup in Gloucester, before I was really even a photographer. I was racing and my job at the time had some cameras I borrowed.
What differentiates shooting Cross from other Cycling sports?
It's more like a stadium sport, a confined location with fans all around. And you don't have to chase the action, it happens right in front of you. And the conditions, too. Much more interesting.
What is your favorite format to shoot with?
Medium format print film. More challenging and more interesting.
Lets do the word association game… first few words that come to mind when you think of Cyclocross? Quick!
Fun. Hard. Messy.
Do you have one particular racer, or category that you like to shoot?
There is nothing better than shooting the top pros. Stybar always looks good on the bike, very smooth but also gives the pain face.
Muddy and sloppy or dry and fast? (That's a bike racing question.)
Muddy and sloppy. The slower and heavier, the better.
What is it like to shoot the European Cyclocross Races vs. The USA?
It's better in Europe. Way better. Courses are more interesting, weather is generally worse, and the crowds are bigger. Plus, you can hit the frites cart and beer tent between races.
Any tips that you might have for photographers aspiring to shoot Cyclocross?
Know the race course, don't get caught up in the action, and know the pictures not to take. There's so much going on at a cross race and so many possibilities for shooting that picking and choosing your spots becomes even more important.
So, there you have it, now you know what it takes to be a professional Cyclocross photographer. Well, conceivably there is a bit more mystique and magic behind the art of photography than that. But, check back here in the coming weeks for a few more brief chats with a few of our favorite Cyclocross photographers.
- How good is this shot ! “@TourdeKorea2013: @mike_cuming looking good in yellow! #TdK2013 @johnherety @raphacondor http://t.co/CrCV1zkCUB”
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: @mike_cuming looking good in yellow! #TdK2013 @johnherety @raphacondor http://t.co/oCjdyhvSue
- Reality check we also lost teammates @AaronBuggle and @carthy94 today. Going to be tough to defend.
- @mike_cuming in yellow with just over a minutes lead going into the final 2 stages of @TourdeKorea2013 couldn't of happened to a nicer guy
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: 25km to go in Stage 6. @mike_cuming is the virtual leader for @raphacondor. #TdK2013
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: 102 riders will sign on today after eight were dropped by their teams in the TTT and failed to make the time cut. #TdK…
- RT @London_phill: @raphacondor @MiBsponsor @james_fairbank_ Rapha team in Tour De Korea 2013 TTT http://t.co/SW09x70Zs0
- RT @182Jay: @raphacondor please share my @JustGiving page @thomwilson88, @DavidMetherell1 and I are fundraising for @MyelomaUK http://t.co…
- Great ride by the boys in Korea. 3rd by only 3 seconds in the 25km TTT today. Mike Cuming now up to 5th overall.
- Some nice pics of the boys and report on the great Mr Cancy's ride last night: http://t.co/ctoHu37ixb