We are showing you the US version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Cyclocross Nationals is a wrap
The 2010 Cyclocross National Championship went off with a bang this past weekend. If you read my preview you would notice that someone was left off that list, Todd Wells, my bad, as that was just this man who rode away for the win. Sure, Mr. Powers might have had a mechanical, but that is, after all, bicycle racing. In the U23 Race our boy "The Kid" aka "Nuke" McDonald did not disappoint. After a spectacular crash in the U23 race that took him out of contention for the win (seriously people?) he came back the next day to take the cake in the Division 1 Collegiate race.
Our man Chris Jones came out in the Pro race with guns blazing and ripped off one of the fastest first laps of the weekend. Times were tense on the second or third lap when he failed to appear around the corner of the Deschutes Brewery. Everyone else was there, but where was Jones? A moment (or three) later all questions were answered when he came around the corner smeared with the mud that could only mean one thing. A crash.
A crash is never good and in these two cases they made our collective hearts sink and that instant feeling in the pit of your stomach appear. Not good, but in both of these unfortunate cases the Rapha - FOCUS riders handled themselves as the professionals that they are and walked away from both of these cases having learned valuable lessons in winning, losing and crowd control.
Photo by Michelle VanGilder
In other news. just last night a Rapha - FOCUS skinsuit that was donated by Chris Jones was sold in silent auction to our friend Amanda (who coincidentally put on the whole event.) Amanda's Dreambikes program to help raise money for the Wheels 4 Life program. In fact, last night's movie screening and silent auction raised more than $18,000. So, congrats to Amanda on both winning the Rapha - FOCUS skinsuit and her great work with the charity.
- Tour series update from Stoke up on the site http://t.co/aVdcnGnkOX
- RT @elstopbanana: Here's Kristian House @raphacondor at last night's @TourSeries picture by Sue Howlett Great racing! @SoTCityCouncil http:…
- RT @sticky_bottle: Meant to say, to be eligible for the @raphacondor team car compeition you have to be a stickybottle twitter follower!
- RT @sticky_bottle: OK folks; nice morning for it. To win a day in the Rapha Condor JLT team car on the Rás last stage, Sunday, just retweet…
- Third team overall for the Men in Black at Stoke last night in the @TourSeries
- 2 be clear that was @johnherety decision to not let @AaronBuggle start. Tour of Korea and Irish National Champs will be his next rendezvous
- Happy to report @AaronBuggle is as good looking as ever after 13 stitches in his chin. Sorry to report not letting him start tomorrow though
- @flammecast @AaronBuggle His Shrone is fine !!!
- Big thanks to all marshals,coms and medical staff on the @anpostras today. Great work despite the numerous demands on their services today.
- Just to let all his girl fans know @AaronBuggle is ok. He's in hospital and will need some surgery on a cut to his chin. Will update later.