We are showing you the European version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Cyclocross Nationals is a wrap
The 2010 Cyclocross National Championship went off with a bang this past weekend. If you read my preview you would notice that someone was left off that list, Todd Wells, my bad, as that was just this man who rode away for the win. Sure, Mr. Powers might have had a mechanical, but that is, after all, bicycle racing. In the U23 Race our boy "The Kid" aka "Nuke" McDonald did not disappoint. After a spectacular crash in the U23 race that took him out of contention for the win (seriously people?) he came back the next day to take the cake in the Division 1 Collegiate race.
Our man Chris Jones came out in the Pro race with guns blazing and ripped off one of the fastest first laps of the weekend. Times were tense on the second or third lap when he failed to appear around the corner of the Deschutes Brewery. Everyone else was there, but where was Jones? A moment (or three) later all questions were answered when he came around the corner smeared with the mud that could only mean one thing. A crash.
A crash is never good and in these two cases they made our collective hearts sink and that instant feeling in the pit of your stomach appear. Not good, but in both of these unfortunate cases the Rapha - FOCUS riders handled themselves as the professionals that they are and walked away from both of these cases having learned valuable lessons in winning, losing and crowd control.
Photo by Michelle VanGilder
In other news. just last night a Rapha - FOCUS skinsuit that was donated by Chris Jones was sold in silent auction to our friend Amanda (who coincidentally put on the whole event.) Amanda's Dreambikes program to help raise money for the Wheels 4 Life program. In fact, last night's movie screening and silent auction raised more than $18,000. So, congrats to Amanda on both winning the Rapha - FOCUS skinsuit and her great work with the charity.
- RT @rapha_n_america: Up Close: The Rapha x Raeburn Fall-Winter Collection via @selectism :: http://t.co/O27Eo9pQGK
- What do you get the cyclist who has everything? Here's what we recommend for the dandy in your life. → http://t.co/ciPREr3fnP
- RT @racefietsblog: Leuk, de Alpe d' Quiz van @RaphaRacing is begonnen! 3 weken elke dag een andere prijs http://t.co/QiWhfY8hXy @rapha_euro…
- The @rapharacing #festive500 is back. Once again we challenge riders worldwide to clock 500km between 24-31 Dec. → http://t.co/HmgDlUJTiI
- RT @RaphaCycleClub: NYC: Analog to digital conversion. #oneoftheseplease #Festive500 http://t.co/f2rQd3Lv6g
- RT @roadcc: Rapha Alpe d’Quiz starts today with prizes to be won @rapharacing #cycling | road.cc http://t.co/tTdEEWjf8k
- RT @RaphaCycleClub: LDN: great to have @DanMartin86 as guest barista in the club this afternoon. http://t.co/IeCC0HKuKr
- Part Two from @RigoZimmerman's series, ‘The Winter’ is now available to read → http://t.co/GIl5Kj9Sfy • Part One → http://t.co/8IclbHCHcc
- As teased at the weekend, Rapha is pleased to welcome the return of Alpe d’Quiz, three weeks of… http://t.co/od3pWXomm9
- The 2013 edition of Alpe d’Quiz is now underway. For a chance to win a Rapha Backpack + Rain Cover, enter here → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq