Cette page n'a pas encore été traduite en Français.
We are showing you the French version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Vous visitez la version française de notre site internet. Voulez-vous changer de version?
climbing with every pedal stroke
Mr. Jeremy Dunn photographs and describes his very own Rapha Rising endeavours in Portland.
"Well, that was hard." It was a sentiment that was echoed over and over in just the span of a week. There was also some under-the-breath cursing of the Strava Challenge characters who came out of the woodwork to smash the ascents in a day or two. Take a look through the photos that were filling up Rapha Rising Instagram tag for examples. How do they do that?
There really are only two ways to go about an endeavor like this — in the company of others, able to take comfort in the pain together— or alone, left to realize that one one else can do this fore you — climbing with each solo pedal stroke.
So Happy Together - The Zipper Ride
This ride is the best way to get the most elevation in the shortest amount of time. Up and down. Up and down through the West Hills surrounding Portland. A few short blocks from our office the climbs begin in earnest and it seemed like the right thing to do. This year again it was one of the hottest days of the year, which did nothing if not exacerbate the situation. However, we seem to be teaching our bodies something from these endeavors each year as more than one return customer remarked that it "wasn't as hard as last year." We stuck together and at the end of the day had logged more than 7,700ft of climbing. Cokes were had. Bonus points for team issue Super-Lightweight Colombian Jerseys were given.
To borrow the name from another early morning local ride seemed apt, for the weather was nothing if not perfect each day of the week this year. The early mornings gave us roads clear of traffic and light that, well, was nearly perfect. The toughest thing about these early morning rides was the route selection. With a thought to finish in the allotted time we needed to pull together rides with the most elevation in the shortest distance. So, it was up, and then down and then up again. Possibly even more than once on Greenleaf. These pre-work rides amounted to roughly 3,000 ft at a go, which could only mean one thing…
Twice a Day
This is when the solo riding comes into play. It is only then that you realize the truth about climbing. Especially with this amount of elevation associated with it. After the Tour stage is over, when you start out on your second round of climbing (some of us need to work too) your legs feel good. Possibly the early session from the day is lingering as reminder that your muscle fibers need to keep working this way. However, when that first initial burst of movement wears off you are left with one thing, a thought that returned to me many times over the course of 24,000 ft in one week — no matter how much the traditions and everyday minutia of cycling become second nature, climbing, real climbing, will never become one of them.
- RT @roadcc: Rapha Alpe d’Quiz starts today with prizes to be won @rapharacing #cycling | road.cc http://t.co/tTdEEWjf8k
- RT @RaphaCycleClub: LDN: great to have @DanMartin86 as guest barista in the club this afternoon. http://t.co/IeCC0HKuKr
- Part Two from @RigoZimmerman's series, ‘The Winter’ is now available to read → http://t.co/GIl5Kj9Sfy • Part One → http://t.co/8IclbHCHcc
- As teased at the weekend, Rapha is pleased to welcome the return of Alpe d’Quiz, three weeks of… http://t.co/od3pWXomm9
- The 2013 edition of Alpe d’Quiz is now underway. For a chance to win a Rapha Backpack + Rain Cover, enter here → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- Inspired by the 21 bends of Alpe d'Huez, we bring back Alpe d’Quiz with a Rapha prize to be won each day. Enter now → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- @joneaves No problem Jon, we do our best. Thanks for the feedback.
- Our very own "Super-knecht" @grutte_bear leaves us today to return to his homeland of Holland. So, we… http://t.co/sSULSkWcRw
- RT @RaphaCycleClub: NYC: The new @rapharacing Cross Transfer Jacket has great details. Which is why we’ll take #oneoftheseplease http://t.…
- While we are on the Rapha x Raeburn collection. Read this fantastic interview with Chris and Graeme by @JohnProlly http://t.co/TDg48zHfVS