[ locale string ]
Cent Cols Challenge: Stage 8
Bedoin - Vassieux
15.4 mph ave
A perfect, late summers day - the temperature rose in the afternoon, but was never uncomfortable, the only minor complaint was the occasional strong headwind going on the final climb.
The day started under perfect conditions with the Giant of Provence. Still, clear, cool, which made for a much more enjoyable ascent than the scorching Etape, which saw scores of competitors lying at the side of the road and collapsing toward the summit.
A safe high-speed descent saw us hit 50mph+, before rolling into the massive landscapes of the Drome-Provencal. The climbs here were unlike any landscape we'd been through, you could see up and into the distance, often viewing the pass you were headed for many miles in the distance.
The team is riding well, with everyone playing to their strengths and keeping a good rhythm. The gruelling day finished with a stunning 22km winding climb up the Col de Rousett and the plateau town of Vassieux. This meandering (in the best possible sense) 5.5% climb has been a highlight of the eight days so far. Highly recommended.
The ascent of the Ventoux and Col de Rousett, a great start and finish the day. The place we're staying at tonight is high on a plateau and the air tastes, well, …like fresh, clean mountain air.
Nick had a puncture/slash in a tyre sidewall which took three tubes to get going again, very frustrating but another challenge overcome.
Rushing breakfast, damnit. I wish we could stay longer in some of these great places.
Tomorrow we head further north through further stunning landscapes, and it will be the last of our 'big' days - 210km and something like another 5000m climbing. Nice work!
- @tribryan Hi Bryan, that’s a discontinued Irish Country Jersey which is no longer in production, sorry to disappoint.
- @vickiewoodsford @richardhier @daithetooth Thanks Vickie, glad we were able to help too.
- @ServiceCourse @richardhier @daithetooth You’re all too kind, thank you.
- @richardhier Thanks Richard, have a good weekend. Will pass on your thanks to Peter.
- Stylish, creative, sharp? We all know a sartorial city rider that can be tricky to buy for. See our guide for hints → http://t.co/dul9phwMoX
- Who's excited for snowy racing #inbend this weekend? We brought tshirts and coffee for the weekend.… http://t.co/aYYPjQEXTG
- @playa_mansa Sorry, somehow missed this. Our backpack is great for general use. Most of us here use it both on and off the bike.
- @TheRaceRadio A man experienced in sheep aerodynamics, perhaps. → http://t.co/4ysrDy5bie
- The most recent Rapha Gentlemen’s Race took place in Adelaide with 18 teams lining up for the rolling 160km route. → http://t.co/ZQ3Dzz0NEX
- @andersmagnus Hi Anders, there’s been a delay unfortunately, but thanks for being patient. It will be out as soon as possible.