We are showing you the US version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Cent Cols Challenge: Stage 3
Briancon to Sisteron
Ave speed 18.3mph
A cool, clouded start to the day, heavy rain overnight meant spray on the road, but visibility good. As the day progressed and the altitude dropped, the sun peeked through and the temperature rose steadily.
The route was diverted again today due to heavy snow on the passes, and this time we missed another big one; the Col de Izoard. Very frustrating and a climb I was really looking forward to.
Instead we took a fast road along the valley floor, assisted by a strong tailwind and Ira's relentless driving on the front. This became the format for the day; climbs, flats, descents, he just would not stop.
Having arrived in Briancon in the dark and rain, the view from the castle walls in the morning.
The climb up Col de Garcinets carved out of a fragile crumbling rock, the road just cut clean through the stone up the valley wall.
Descending rough, switchback roads; the Continental-style bike came into it's own.
Good coffee with lunch!
The spaghetti looping road from the Col des Sagnes you could see coil, hairpin after hairpin below you.
Arriving at another stunning citadel town, Sisteron - has to be seen to be believed.
Terrible night's sleep. Despite the guys insisting I took the double bed, I still didn't fit in.
Camera out of battery on the stunning valley roads - I guess I'll just have to come back someday.
Tomorrow we kick off with a 26km climb straight after breakfast (into what sounds like the Disneyland of geology), and another 190km day. As we get further south the weather and temperature improves, so I'm looking forward to this one.
- @CanyonUK Everyone loves a hug, thanks.
- @CanyonUK Do we win a prize?
- @c4shr Hello Kash, we're very sorry about that. We'll be in touch shortly to sort things out.
- RT @Strava: Are you ready for the @rapharacing #Festive500? we're challenging riders to clock 500 km between Christmas and NYE. http://t.co…
- RT @JeanzTweet: Yay! Won a nice wash bag & skincare kit at the @rapharacing #alpedquiz. First time ever i won a prize. You rock #teamrapha …
- @JeanzTweet You’re welcome Jens.
- Congrats to yesterday’s Alpe d'Quiz winner Ben Wooliscroft who won a pair of Rapha GT Shoes. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/h4frOXDYma
- RT @michaeltabtabai: @rapharacing #oneoftheseplease Custom Carter handmade chefs knife made here in Oregon by Mastersmith Murray Carter htt…
- @Johnlovesbikes they are in transit and should be here later this week. Thanks for checking in, sorry for the delay.
- RT @tubbytrotter: Yay! I've just won the stunning @rapharacing Womens softshell in the brilliant #AlpedQuiz bring on the winter weather htt…