Cette page n'a pas encore été traduite en Français.
We are showing you the French version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Vous visitez la version française de notre site internet. Voulez-vous changer de version?
Cent Cols Challenge: Stage 3
Briancon to Sisteron
Ave speed 18.3mph
A cool, clouded start to the day, heavy rain overnight meant spray on the road, but visibility good. As the day progressed and the altitude dropped, the sun peeked through and the temperature rose steadily.
The route was diverted again today due to heavy snow on the passes, and this time we missed another big one; the Col de Izoard. Very frustrating and a climb I was really looking forward to.
Instead we took a fast road along the valley floor, assisted by a strong tailwind and Ira's relentless driving on the front. This became the format for the day; climbs, flats, descents, he just would not stop.
Having arrived in Briancon in the dark and rain, the view from the castle walls in the morning.
The climb up Col de Garcinets carved out of a fragile crumbling rock, the road just cut clean through the stone up the valley wall.
Descending rough, switchback roads; the Continental-style bike came into it's own.
Good coffee with lunch!
The spaghetti looping road from the Col des Sagnes you could see coil, hairpin after hairpin below you.
Arriving at another stunning citadel town, Sisteron - has to be seen to be believed.
Terrible night's sleep. Despite the guys insisting I took the double bed, I still didn't fit in.
Camera out of battery on the stunning valley roads - I guess I'll just have to come back someday.
Tomorrow we kick off with a 26km climb straight after breakfast (into what sounds like the Disneyland of geology), and another 190km day. As we get further south the weather and temperature improves, so I'm looking forward to this one.
- @brettrothmeyer nice cap drawing by the way!
- @Jack_Sadler @raphacondor We’re honoured to have you riding for us Jack.
- RT @dean0downing: I had 6 great seasons with the @raphacondor team, thanks to all at @rapharacing for the support through out. http://t.co/…
- @dean0downing @raphacondor Thank you Dean, it’s been an incredible journey.
- Eeny meeny miny moe. Aka Sean, Freddy, Roger and Francesco. If like me you can't decide which one of… http://t.co/o5b8KuTdCX
- Buying for the obsessive cyclist can be an impossible task. The kit has to be right, but what do you choose? → http://t.co/78RaFQ810G
- RT @raphacondor: 2014 will be the last year that Rapha will be part of @raphacondor JLT, concluding 9 fantastic years as co-owners. → http:…
- RT @rapha_australia: It's time for #alpedquiz question two. "WHERE DID RICHIE PORTE FINISH ON STAGE 18 OF THE 2013 TOUR?" Answer at http://…
- The #oneoftheseplease wk 3 includes some outdoor products from the likes of @polerstuff - Kletterwerks - and Filson: http://t.co/SG3aSEcjxN
- 2014 will be the last year that Rapha will be part of @raphacondor JLT, concluding 9 fantastic years as co-owners. → http://t.co/11e5ZxOdoC