We are showing you the Canadian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Cent Cols Challenge: Stage 3
Briancon to Sisteron
Ave speed 18.3mph
A cool, clouded start to the day, heavy rain overnight meant spray on the road, but visibility good. As the day progressed and the altitude dropped, the sun peeked through and the temperature rose steadily.
The route was diverted again today due to heavy snow on the passes, and this time we missed another big one; the Col de Izoard. Very frustrating and a climb I was really looking forward to.
Instead we took a fast road along the valley floor, assisted by a strong tailwind and Ira's relentless driving on the front. This became the format for the day; climbs, flats, descents, he just would not stop.
Having arrived in Briancon in the dark and rain, the view from the castle walls in the morning.
The climb up Col de Garcinets carved out of a fragile crumbling rock, the road just cut clean through the stone up the valley wall.
Descending rough, switchback roads; the Continental-style bike came into it's own.
Good coffee with lunch!
The spaghetti looping road from the Col des Sagnes you could see coil, hairpin after hairpin below you.
Arriving at another stunning citadel town, Sisteron - has to be seen to be believed.
Terrible night's sleep. Despite the guys insisting I took the double bed, I still didn't fit in.
Camera out of battery on the stunning valley roads - I guess I'll just have to come back someday.
Tomorrow we kick off with a 26km climb straight after breakfast (into what sounds like the Disneyland of geology), and another 190km day. As we get further south the weather and temperature improves, so I'm looking forward to this one.
- How good is this shot ! “@TourdeKorea2013: @mike_cuming looking good in yellow! #TdK2013 @johnherety @raphacondor http://t.co/CrCV1zkCUB”
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: @mike_cuming looking good in yellow! #TdK2013 @johnherety @raphacondor http://t.co/oCjdyhvSue
- Reality check we also lost teammates @AaronBuggle and @carthy94 today. Going to be tough to defend.
- @mike_cuming in yellow with just over a minutes lead going into the final 2 stages of @TourdeKorea2013 couldn't of happened to a nicer guy
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: 25km to go in Stage 6. @mike_cuming is the virtual leader for @raphacondor. #TdK2013
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: 102 riders will sign on today after eight were dropped by their teams in the TTT and failed to make the time cut. #TdK…
- RT @London_phill: @raphacondor @MiBsponsor @james_fairbank_ Rapha team in Tour De Korea 2013 TTT http://t.co/SW09x70Zs0
- RT @182Jay: @raphacondor please share my @JustGiving page @thomwilson88, @DavidMetherell1 and I are fundraising for @MyelomaUK http://t.co…
- Great ride by the boys in Korea. 3rd by only 3 seconds in the 25km TTT today. Mike Cuming now up to 5th overall.
- Some nice pics of the boys and report on the great Mr Cancy's ride last night: http://t.co/ctoHu37ixb