We are showing you the Norwegian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Cent Cols Challenge: Stage 10 (Fin)
Montmelian to Annecy
Ave speed - 14.2mph (including the Lake Annecy champagne-addled cycle-path)
A cold start to the day, but we could tell it was going to be another perfect afternoon. The temperature soared in the morning and I think we were all glad to be finished by mid-afternoon. A sun-dappled descent into Annecy through an idyllic national forest.
Back into the stunning 'Swiss-style' Alps, lush alpine meadows, contented cows and the soothing melody of the cow bells.
The route took us through a series of difficult and demanding climbs, before the 17km Cret de Chatillon rewarded us with a stunning mountain-top finish.
We were stopped just before embarking on a serious climb in the late morning to be told the road to the Col was closed and we'd have to retrace our steps to the point of Phil's shorter route. With time in hand we were soon basking in the sun, enjoying great coffee and even better flan from a patisserie straight out of Amelie… bliss.
Lunch at the top of the Cret de Chatillon next to panoramic views in alpine sunshine, with Mont Blanc in the distance.
Finding out I came 3rd… remarkable, and only thanks to the team's hard work.
Waking up in the morning, I was looking forward to a catching up on some sleep (Ira's always deep under as I tap away at my ride journal). However, it became clear at the evening briefing this was to be a morning like the rest: Waking in darkness, straight into damp lycra, and a far from leisurely breakfast…
Despite the beautiful route, I found today a real grind. Legs were blown out by stages 8 and 9 and I had nothing left. I hung on to Ira's wheel on the climbs, sometimes tapping along at 11+mph for a considerable distance on a gradient, but I couldn't match his relentless drive.
What of tomorrow? Well, who knows, a return to normality?
Lake Annecy, rather inviting after 10 days of riding.
Raeburn, Ira Ryan, Arthur, Amlot and honorary Rapha rider, Hedges.
- How good is this shot ! “@TourdeKorea2013: @mike_cuming looking good in yellow! #TdK2013 @johnherety @raphacondor http://t.co/CrCV1zkCUB”
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: @mike_cuming looking good in yellow! #TdK2013 @johnherety @raphacondor http://t.co/oCjdyhvSue
- Reality check we also lost teammates @AaronBuggle and @carthy94 today. Going to be tough to defend.
- @mike_cuming in yellow with just over a minutes lead going into the final 2 stages of @TourdeKorea2013 couldn't of happened to a nicer guy
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: 25km to go in Stage 6. @mike_cuming is the virtual leader for @raphacondor. #TdK2013
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: 102 riders will sign on today after eight were dropped by their teams in the TTT and failed to make the time cut. #TdK…
- RT @London_phill: @raphacondor @MiBsponsor @james_fairbank_ Rapha team in Tour De Korea 2013 TTT http://t.co/SW09x70Zs0
- RT @182Jay: @raphacondor please share my @JustGiving page @thomwilson88, @DavidMetherell1 and I are fundraising for @MyelomaUK http://t.co…
- Great ride by the boys in Korea. 3rd by only 3 seconds in the 25km TTT today. Mike Cuming now up to 5th overall.
- Some nice pics of the boys and report on the great Mr Cancy's ride last night: http://t.co/ctoHu37ixb