We are showing you the European version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Breaking Away w/ Mellow Johnny's
Mama, Mama…The Italians are coming!!
July 12, 1979, Breaking Away opens in theaters across the U.S. Inspired by the ‘Little 500’ race held at Indiana University, the movie is the story of a group of four friends whose shoulders had chips on them as big as the limestone pulled from the ground by their ‘Cutter’ fathers.
July 11, 2009, something that looked a lot like the final race scene in Breaking Away comes to life on the track at Kealing Middle School in Austin, Texas. Not even the 105-degree heat could keep eight strong, competitive and colorful teams from putting it on the line for the pride and fame that would come with victory.
Working with Mellow Johnny’s, we worked to create an evening of racing like Austin hadn’t seen in some time (possibly ever). The full report, flush with photos, videos and story will be featured in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, here’s a touch of what you can expect:
- Transitions: the good, bad and the ugly.
- Costume and style: ranging from the “Mark Spitz” team, the Michael Jackson tribute squadra and Beta Sigma Sigma.
- There was no Cinzano team, but there still was a spectacular collarbone cracking crash.
- 350+ for the post-race showing of Breaking Away outside of Mellow Johnny’s courtesy of Alamo Draught House.
- 2014 will be the last year that Rapha will be part of @raphacondor JLT, concluding 9 fantastic years as co-owners. → http://t.co/11e5ZxOdoC
- 2014 will be the last year that Rapha will be part of @raphacondor JLT, concluding 9 fantastic years as co-owners. → http://t.co/TfWWoTG1ge
- RT @CondorWarehouse: @raphacondor JLT 2014 pedals will be @SpeedplayPedals Stainless White :-) http://t.co/S4oOK2gx8t
- RT @CondorWarehouse: A massive shout out to @SpeedplayPedals just received our pedals for @raphacondor JLT 2014 bikes. Thanks guys http://t…
- Congratulations to yesterday’s Alpe d'Quiz winner Darren Edwards who receives a Rapha Backpack. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/h4frOXDYma
- @vickiewoodsford @tobytoof @daithetooth @WhittleFit Thanks Vickie, very kind of you to say.
- @daithetooth Thank you Dai.
- @rich_mitch @RaphaCycleClub You're welcome.
- @rich_mitch Hey Rich, you're probably best to head to our @RaphaCycleClub in London to try them on with advice some our knowledgable staff.
- RT @rapha_australia: The first #alpedquiz question has been asked. "FAUSTO COPPI WAS THE FIRST MAN TO DO WHAT?" Answer at http://t.co/EnOFN…