[ locale string ]
Breaking Away w/ Mellow Johnny's
Mama, Mama…The Italians are coming!!
July 12, 1979, Breaking Away opens in theaters across the U.S. Inspired by the ‘Little 500’ race held at Indiana University, the movie is the story of a group of four friends whose shoulders had chips on them as big as the limestone pulled from the ground by their ‘Cutter’ fathers.
July 11, 2009, something that looked a lot like the final race scene in Breaking Away comes to life on the track at Kealing Middle School in Austin, Texas. Not even the 105-degree heat could keep eight strong, competitive and colorful teams from putting it on the line for the pride and fame that would come with victory.
Working with Mellow Johnny’s, we worked to create an evening of racing like Austin hadn’t seen in some time (possibly ever). The full report, flush with photos, videos and story will be featured in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, here’s a touch of what you can expect:
- Transitions: the good, bad and the ugly.
- Costume and style: ranging from the “Mark Spitz” team, the Michael Jackson tribute squadra and Beta Sigma Sigma.
- There was no Cinzano team, but there still was a spectacular collarbone cracking crash.
- 350+ for the post-race showing of Breaking Away outside of Mellow Johnny’s courtesy of Alamo Draught House.
- RT @JeanzTweet: Yay! Won a nice wash bag & skincare kit at the @rapharacing #alpedquiz. First time ever i won a prize. You rock #teamrapha …
- @JeanzTweet You’re welcome Jens.
- Congrats to yesterday’s Alpe d'Quiz winner Ben Wooliscroft who won a pair of Rapha GT Shoes. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/h4frOXDYma
- RT @michaeltabtabai: @rapharacing #oneoftheseplease Custom Carter handmade chefs knife made here in Oregon by Mastersmith Murray Carter htt…
- @Johnlovesbikes they are in transit and should be here later this week. Thanks for checking in, sorry for the delay.
- RT @tubbytrotter: Yay! I've just won the stunning @rapharacing Womens softshell in the brilliant #AlpedQuiz bring on the winter weather htt…
- Still stuck for gift ideas for someone? Scan their Twitter/Instagram feeds for #oneoftheseplease. → http://t.co/qVKiV4q8mQ
- @xuano_4 Yes it is open to anyone.
- Make sure you enter Alpe d'Quiz today. One lucky winner will receive a pair of Rapha GT Shoes. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq #oneoftheseplease
- Congratulations to the weekend's Alpe d'Quiz winners Joanne Rushton, @tubbytrotter, @jeanztweet. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq