We are showing you the US version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Breaking Away w/ Mellow Johnny's
Mama, Mama…The Italians are coming!!
July 12, 1979, Breaking Away opens in theaters across the U.S. Inspired by the ‘Little 500’ race held at Indiana University, the movie is the story of a group of four friends whose shoulders had chips on them as big as the limestone pulled from the ground by their ‘Cutter’ fathers.
July 11, 2009, something that looked a lot like the final race scene in Breaking Away comes to life on the track at Kealing Middle School in Austin, Texas. Not even the 105-degree heat could keep eight strong, competitive and colorful teams from putting it on the line for the pride and fame that would come with victory.
Working with Mellow Johnny’s, we worked to create an evening of racing like Austin hadn’t seen in some time (possibly ever). The full report, flush with photos, videos and story will be featured in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, here’s a touch of what you can expect:
- Transitions: the good, bad and the ugly.
- Costume and style: ranging from the “Mark Spitz” team, the Michael Jackson tribute squadra and Beta Sigma Sigma.
- There was no Cinzano team, but there still was a spectacular collarbone cracking crash.
- 350+ for the post-race showing of Breaking Away outside of Mellow Johnny’s courtesy of Alamo Draught House.
- RT @nedboulting: Kristian House's Grandad was a fantastic man. He told me about him once. Then I read this: http://t.co/ZCeYbm4sFU
- @DeanHardman @nedboulting @j_t_locke such a shame...
- @TeamSkyGirl @nedboulting @j_t_locke we've asked JTL to change his name.
- RT @Ed_Clancy: Watch @raphacondor team mate Kristian House take another win (and lap me in the process) around his favourite circuit to…
- RT @TourSeries: Catch-up with all of the #Durham #tourseries action on ITV4 tonight http://t.co/YE9zgNaZem
- Some helpful #womens100 tips from Australian pro @tiffanycromwell that you might find useful over on @gcntweet → http://t.co/ZqgODQ6Tz3
- New Media, New Myths: @TrueBS writes for our blog about the building of legends at the @AmgenTourofCali → http://t.co/SEEBqxorZh #AToC
- Starting this Sunday, the Irish tour @anpostras is being raced by @raphacondor JLT and our very own Ultan Coyle. → http://t.co/gJmiGGr2zy
- Atoc photographers come in all shapes and sizes. Like this one @johnprolly. #atoc http://t.co/yWV0121rRB
- Tejay on the front of the 17 man break that includes more than a few heavies. http://t.co/hJmdvUHLeS